Insurance

Luna07
on 5/11/15 6:09 pm

My current insurance doesn't not cover my bypass surgery... I have been a approved but my current plan doesn't cover this procedure. Anyone out there have any suggestions?? When I started the process about 6 months ago I had another insurance but since have changed. All my tests have been done and I have been cleared for surgery from my dr. Any help would be appreciated 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/11/15 6:29 pm - OH

Unfortunately, if your current insurance plan doesn't cover RNY, it really doesn't matter that you went through all the steps to get approved under another plan... Unless, of course, you self pay. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 8:29 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Start looking into self-pay options. I was originally going through the process self-pay back in 2012 for the same reason; my insurance just had a blanket exclusion on any WLS. I found that different hospitals had vastly different cash prices. For the VSG I was planning at the time, it varied between $16,800 and $26,000. The other option is switching insurance if that's a possibility for you, but you may have to start the process over again to meet their criteria.

Sandra F.
on 5/13/15 6:21 am

I self-payed with a surgeon in Mexico as my insurance didn't cover WLS either.