Bariatric Surgery Center Tijuana, Mexico

SaraRodz28
on 5/14/15 6:47 am

Hi everyone......I recently saw a friend of a friend go to mex for weight loss surgery. I found that Tijuana Mexico Bariatric surgery center was very cost friendly. Has anybody had surgery there? Thank you :)

Kathy S.
on 5/14/15 12:15 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi SaraRodz,

Here is a link to a list of surgeons in Tijuana MX.  Take a look at the profiles and be sure and read the reviews of fellow members from the community.

Surgeons in Tijuana MX

We hope this helps

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Vsg_Carlos
on 5/15/15 1:11 am

I had my syrup in Mexico with Dr. Ariel Ortiz 

I'm 11 weeks out and 65lbs down. 20 from preop diet 45 since surgery. I've had no complications or pain of you have any questions feel free to message me.  

Sandra F.
on 5/15/15 6:35 pm

I had the sleeve with Dr. Fernando Garcia.  I am 7 1/2 months out and down 82 lbs.  Love love love it  No major issues.  Let me know if you have questions.

SaraRodz28
on 5/26/15 6:18 am

Hi! Thanks for that information. My family is really nervous about me going to Mx for surgery. Can you tell me about your experience?

Sandra F.
on 5/26/15 6:49 am

My mom was extremely nervous about me going as well and actually encouraged me not to, but I couldn't afford the surgery in the US and Mexico was my only option if I wanted it done.  My husband was so supportive though and continues to be.  We actually spent an extra couple of days in San Diego.  We flew in on a Saturday and stayed in San Diego Saturday night.  Then we went to Tijuana Sunday evening.  We were checked into the Hotel Pueblo Amigo and stayed there Sunday night.  I was still on the pre-op diet, which trust me is probably one of the hardest parts of the journey, and I was extremely hungry and irritable. I went in for surgery on Monday.  I had my surgery at the Florence Oasis Hospital (Dr. Garcia now does them at a different hospital).  I was EXTREMELY nauseous after surgery and actually puked until about 1pm on Tuesday.  The nurses gave me anti-nausea medicine and they were all great, but I was still getting sick.  I felt a bit better Tuesday and actually took a shower.  I stayed in the hospital Tuesday night as well and then was discharged on Wednesday back to the hotel.  I felt very weak and tired, but didn't feel much pain.  I did take tylenol on Thursday but none of the pain meds that the doctor had given me, because I didn't need them.  We crossed the border on Friday and spent Friday night in San Diego.  It was difficult getting my liquids in for the first month.  I was so tired for the first month.  But after a month, I was feeling better and ready to move on to regular foods.  I took it slow and that was the right call.  I was told to avoid chicken for the first 3 months and I would definitely recommend that.  If you do eat chicken, take it really slowly, chew thoroughly and moisten it with something.  I discovered in the first month (after puking) that I was temporarily lactose intolerant and could not eat eggs.  After reading a bunch on here, I think this is absolutely normal.  I can now eat both and have no issues.  All the nurses spoke great english and so did Dr. Garcia as well as Dr. Velazco.  Everybody was great.  The hospital was nicer than some that I have seen in the US.  It was small but sufficient.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  I know that this is an important decision and I am happy to help.  I stayed on these boards prior to surgery.

MsBatt
on 5/26/15 10:34 am

I believe there's a forum here called South of the Border that's about WLS in Mexico. Provided you do your research and choose a GOOD surgeon and hospital, you can get every bit as good medical care in Mexico as you can here in the US. But research into their credentials is VERY importable, and you should absolutely NOT make price your first consideration. A cheapo surgery that leaves you damaged or dead is far costlier than an expensive surgery that gives you a lifetime of improved health.