Prenatal Vitamin help!

shoven21187
on 5/13/15 8:22 am - Saint Paul, MN

I asked this in the post op pregnancy board but there isn't much traffic there. I am not in contact with my surgeon any longer because he moved practices plus I moved away. I am 4 years out and will be trying to conceive soon! :-) I am wondering for those of you who have been pregnant post op did you swap out your daily vitamins for prenatals? Add them on top of it? You kept taking the same amount of calcium, correct? Right now I take 500 calcium citrate x 3 a day and a daily vitamin x 2 a day. Any pregnancy input will help! :)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/13/15 10:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hiya! I'm 15 weeks pregnant, and I started prenatals in December before having my IUD removed in January.

I basically swapped my regular multi for the One-a-Day prenatals, which are two pills-- a vitamin and a DHA supplement. I still take the additional B12, iron, and calcium that I took previously (in addition to the generic multi), and both my surgeon and OB say my bloodwork looks good so far.

One thing to note-- you don't want to double-up with your regular bariatric vitamins because you need to watch out for too much vitamin A while pregnant.

One thing to watch out for, you may need to try different vitamins when you actually get pregnant. I was very queasy in the first trimester, so my doctor suggested switching vitamin brands. The kind I was on before had DHA from fish oil, and after switching to one that has flaxseed oil (I think), I felt much better.

Overall, your OB should be able to give good vitamin advice. You may want to take a copy of the ASMBS vitamin guidelines to your prenatal checkup to get his/her suggestions.

Good luck!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

shoven21187
on 5/13/15 10:38 am - Saint Paul, MN

Thank you! I didn't know about the vitamin A and will watch that!

Kathy S.
on 5/13/15 11:04 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your pregnancy Julie!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/13/15 11:06 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I just want to add WLS is pretty common today. So I am guessing you are not the OBGYN's first WLS pregnancy. I am sure they can guide you.