Set point weight / stall?

KeishaLeigh
on 5/9/15 9:20 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I know...not another stall post!  No its not really in the normal sense lol.

I am extremely pleased with my loss so far. For the last two weeks I haven't really lost anything ,which I know is going to change eventually. So I'm not stressing over that. I know if I keep eating correctly the loss has to start back.

My loss  so far has gotten me down to basically what I have weighed most of my adult life. I have read a lot of old posts about setpoint weight and how our bodies want to stay at a weight that is familiar. Is this a real phenomenon? Is there anything we can do to help "break through" other than just staying on plan and waiting it out? I was just wondering your take on set point. Thanks!

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Kate -True Brit
on 5/9/15 11:40 pm - UK

I have no scientific information to share. But personally, I don't think there is a set point. I think there is a calorie level which we find it not too hard to maintain long term and that intake level determines our long term weight.

it's a cliché, but famine victims don't have a set point! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/10/15 12:33 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't have any scientific proof either-- so just from my anecdotal experience. First, we must clarify what we term a stall. Going a few days or even a week or two isn't what most vets consider a stall.  I believe it's defined as 4 weeks or more without loss.  So, by that term, I've yet to stall.  Still, when you're early out and used to some weight dropping off nearly daily, it can feel really discouraging when a few days or a week passes while on point without it reflected on the scale  

BTW for your set point question-- I have noticed that at major weight milestones, meaning weights I've spent particular periods of time weighing in the past, I do seem to stick there for a bit. I used to hate these periods, but I've found that oddly these are the times I tend to go down in size.  It's odd, but it's almost like my body is catching up -- and I've learn to accept it as a necessary process. 

I've  tried everything to hurry it along, and truthfully, the best course is to stay calm and keep on plan. Just when you think you've found the secret, you'll realize that it was just time to start losing again -- nothing really that you did. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Maria27
on 5/10/15 6:50 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am a firm believer in set point weight. It took me a few weeks to get past the weight I was at for the longest time. The weight loss slowed the closer I got, but I wasn't eating enough to maintain that weight. So, I just stuck with the program, and the weight loss finally started to pick up again. Now I'm headed into unfamiliar territory. . .

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

White Dove
on 5/10/15 7:54 am - Warren, OH

I did stay at the same weight for about twenty years.  I thought it was a setpoint, but as Kate pointed out it was probably the calorie level that I was comfortable with.  I had a superstition that if a weight was recorded at the doctor's office, then that would become my new setpoint.  So I used to take water pills for a few days before doctor appointments to make sure my chart did not show a higher weight than the year before.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/10/15 2:28 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I have heard of the set point theory, but I'm not sure how true it is. I did watch a documentary about a pair of twins that were the same weight for most of their lives, but 1 twin gained weight then lost it again, but couldn't eat the same amount of calories as her twin to maintain her weight, she had to stay at a calorie deficit to maintain the loss.

I do think that the body gets comfortable at a certain weight & will try to get back to that weight, but if you maintain the calorie deficit I think the set point will reset itself to the lower weight. I'm not sure when or if it does happen, but I'd like to think that eventually the body will want to stay at the lower weight & not try to get to pre op weight. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Eggface
on 5/10/15 9:41 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

A great video that explains set point... https://twitter.com/Eggface/status/568133713898418176

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

KeishaLeigh
on 5/10/15 2:58 pm, edited 5/10/15 2:58 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

Thank you for sharing the video. It was very interesting to watch.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0