Want lapband removed; which surgery recommended?

Agerpay
on 5/9/15 8:04 pm

I had lapband done 2012 & it hasn't worked for me. I was self-pay then. Now have coverage that covers bariatric surgery. Not sure if I want sleeve or RYN? The surgeon I wanted won't take me because of conflict with surgeon who did lapband. Not sure my original dr does many sleeves as he pushes lapband. In a quandary about who to go to & which procedure to pursue.   

Lisa Y.
on 5/9/15 9:43 pm

I'm right there with you.  Hoping someone responds...biggest waste of time and money ever!

Lisa

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/10/15 4:37 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had a LapBand placed in April 2006 and revised to RNY by the same surgeon in Aug 2013.  I've far surpassed me weightloss goal and can't recommend RNY highly enough.  It has been the perfect choice for me though I know there are plenty of Band to Sleeve folks that are very happy.  I think you should seek out a surgeon who has performed lots of revisions and can help you make the right choice given your set of cir****tances.  I wanted the malabsorption as a restrictive only surgery clearly wasn't enough for me the first time around. I also had reflux from Band erosion so the Sleeve wasn't even a consideration for me.

I am thrilled with the lifestyle, the ease of eating (no choking, sliming, vomiting etc.) and the lack of hunger.  Happy to answer any questions!

Good luck.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Healthymom-1969
on 5/10/15 5:46 am

Hi There I am 12 days post op and I had my band removed and Gastric Bypass surgery I am so happy to have gotten the useless band out of me and looking forward to my new life with my pouch. I also pay'd out of my own pocket for the band and it was a nightmare and I had it done in Toronto Canada with slimband and after they took my money and did the surgery they were very unsupportive for the 5 years I had it in. Pick a doctor that knows how to do the revision and can be there to follow up with you.

Best Of Luck

Lisa

Grim_Traveller
on 5/10/15 6:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't be in a rush to choose a surgery for your revision. Have a good surgeon examine your innards first. Because of damage caused by the band, one surgery or the other might be better for you. If you get your heart set on one, it will be harder to change your mind if a medical need arises. You don't want to have complications farther down the road because you "felt" one surgery was better than another.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/10/15 11:41 am - UK

As Grim says.  Also be clear why the band didnt work for you. If it caused pain or discomfort, that makes no difference to your next choice, but if it was because it didn't give you enough help in following a diet, that affects which way you go - you may need the malabsorption of bypass. Some people need more than just restriction of intake. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 5/10/15 4:08 pm

If you have reflux or any issues with adhesions or scar tissue, you'll want to have an expert revision surgeon. Also, be aware that if you do have reflux, the sleeve may not be a great option for you because in order to have enough restriction, the sleeve will need to be made a certain size. It can exacerbate reflux... and if the sleeve is not the correct size, you may not have success in losing weight. The Duodenal Switch is a possibility because you have the malabsorption aspect and the sleeve can be slightly larger. 

Definitely get an opinion from a qualified surgeon before deciding to go further. Give yourself the best possible chances of succeeding with a new surgery. 

I don't know enough about the RnY to advise you on it. But I'd think that if you took a gander at the RnY forum, you'd find people who could help you. 

Good luck to you!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI