Does having hypothyroidsim slow down the weight loss?

yvie73
on 5/7/15 8:28 am
RNY on 05/06/14

My synthroid has been adjusted multiple times since my surgery date and yes it did seem to slow my progress.  I did not lose as quickly as others and suffered through many, many stalls sometimes for as long as 2 months!  I also noticed the hair loss was significantly more than those I know that had the surgery but did not have thyroid issues.  Stay in tune with your body and if you notice any symptoms have your doctor recheck your TSH levels.  You will require adjustments due to the malabsorption and just remember... it was the turtle that won the race and everyone's journey has their own side roads, don't judge your success by other people's experiences.

Jiliana2
on 5/7/15 9:17 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm hypothyroid too. I only found that out long after I was morbidly obese; docs had 'checked' me for it for years, starting when I was a child, but my levels always fell in the high normal range so no one prescribed meds. Ugh. It was discovered and properly treated when I was 37 and going through fertility treatments.

I was taking 125 mcg of synthroid prior to surgery. My GP checks my levels every 3-6 months. After surgery, I needed a bump up to 137 mcg.

Having hypothyroidism didn't slow me down in the weight loss per se, but like another poster, I found I had severe hair loss for awhile. Thank goodness my hair is thick and coarse! I covered it well. I've done well with the weight loss and my clinic is telling me to stop, and that I'm good where I am. (Personally I still want to lose 10-15 lbs. To be determined.)

This is my experience anyway. Just thought I'd chime in. Wishing you luck!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle