Protein Shakes - Need Ideas please

maggie409
on 5/5/15 11:40 am

I am preparing for Gastric Sleeve surgery and trying to find a protein drink is overwhelming.  There are so many products out there.  I would love to know people's choices.  What everyone likes and what they have tried and not liked.  I just need some guidance please.

Scion
on 5/6/15 1:59 am

I am also pre-op and on the pre-op diet, so I'm drinking a lot of shakes. The ones I like the best are the Wonderslim shakes. Like many other shakes, they are sweet, but not horribly so, and no chemical aftertaste.

I know a lot of people here like the Premier Protein shakes.

Also, you can do a search for this topic using the search function. This topic has come up many times, so you should be able to get some good information.

Eggface
on 5/5/15 11:25 pm, edited 5/5/15 11:26 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Look for one that is low sugar, low carb, high protein. Most Dr's want Whey Protein Isolate (or at least most of that protein) unless there is a reason for another type. Many companies sell sample travel size packs, you can ask at GNC, Nutrishop and places like that to try something (not always, but generally) they will mix something up or give you a scoop in a baggie. Don't buy too much, in the beginning what we liked the night before surgery might be something we can't tolerate after (lots of theories on that) so you know don't drop tons of $$ at first. I'd go with basic flavors like Vanilla and Chocolate and then jazz them up as you are able to add things. Ideas: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/04/eggfa ce-favorite-protein-shakes-and.html Hope this helps a bit... on the which ones, that's really a trial and error thing, taste varies. I have had brands people loved and thought "Uggh they are high this tastes like monkey's butt" LOL One man's tasty treat is another's monkey's butt.

Best wishes on your surgery!

Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

siberiancat
on 5/6/15 8:01 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I agree with choosing a whey isolate, low carb protein.  I suggest looking at DiVinci or Torani sugar free syrups.  I buy mine online.

I use the sugar free syrups with my hot and cold drink and blended drinks - smoothies.  I also use the SF syrup in SF pudding or greek yogurt.  There are so many flavors and no calories.

Blessings, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

chillininiowa
on 5/6/15 4:27 pm

I found there is unflavored Isopure whey isolate that you can buy readily online.  Then you can add whatever flavoring your might like.  Hope this sounds like something you might like.  Good luck and best wishes

mjctexas2015
on 5/7/15 8:24 am

I recently found Pure Protein, which has 35g of protein, about 1 carb per can (depending on flavor), and 1 g fat.  I have tried the Banana Cream and Chocolate Frosty - both taste delicious to me.  I also drink whey protein and use plain vanilla, but i add extracts to it to make different flavors.

rissa1224
on 5/8/15 2:34 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Protein shakes are my best friend and worst enemy. I recently decided to do this and its SO DELICIOUS and doesn't taste like that crappy protein.

I take 1 pre made Eas Advantage shake (lately its Strawberry), blend it with a danon lite & fit greek gogurt and a bunch of ice cubes and BOOM. It's amazing!! The nutrition for Eas Advantage ; 100 calories, 2 carbs, 17g protein! So the danon lite and fit greek is 80 cal, 7 carbs and 9 protein. So your breakfast is 180 calories, 26 grams protein and only 9carbs. I mix it up with the chocolate flavor and the different types of greek yogurt. It's so delicious!