Adverse reaction to Splenda

helionoftroy
on 5/5/15 9:43 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

I was at the hospital today for 6 hours. I had to have an upper GI and CAT scan to find out why I was in so much pain. Anything I ate or drank was torture going down. Luckily for me, nothing serious should up an any of the scans. I see my surgeon after all the tests and he tells me that something I ate has aggravated my pouch. Everything had been going great up until Wednesday. My doctor questioned me about eating sweets, which I have not been. I wasn't even tempted to have a bite of my sons birthday cake, so that wasn't the issue. He put me back on stage 1...liquids plus some meds. I go back next week to follow up.

I racked my brain to think what has changed in my diet. As I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking about the foods I have eaten I took a sip of the protein drink I made the day before and had in the fridge. Pure protein vanilla creme with skim milk,yogurt, and sugar free caramel syrup. You know the kind of syrup...Torani, made with Splenda. As soon as the second swallow hit my throat it felt like lead going down and then the pain started. I ran to the bathroom and threw it up, I felt so much better afterwards.

I waited a couple of hours before I tested anything else. It was already 5:00 and I was starving so I had a premier protein shake, chocolate pre-mixed carton. Not so bad, in fact, it didn't hurt all that much. There was some discomfort but I think it was because my throat was raw. I also had a bowl of chicken broth about 30 minutes ago and that went down nicely. The warm liquid felt good.

Therefore, I have deduced that Splenda is not my friend. If anything, it is my worst enemy and will not ever cross my lips again. I told my mom that I will only keep it natural from now on and will be avoiding any food product that is processed. If I have the urge for something sweet I will extract sweetener from pure stevia leaves.    

Poodlemac
on 5/6/15 6:30 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I don't know that Splenda would be the problem. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but I'd be more likely to believe it was something in your shake since you'd had it in the fridge a couple of days and the discomfort recurred when you drank the same drink. My doc says if you want sweet, use real sugar just less of it. That's the hardest thing for me to do because sugar is my DOC. Just a thought!  

Eggface
on 5/6/15 6:58 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I don't think it was the Splenda... IMHO... it was the yogurt sitting in the shake for a day... enzymes in yogurt breaking down the shake. Don't add yogurt and then have it sit for any length of time. Unless a shake has stabilizers like RTD's storebought you want to make and consume. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

helionoftroy
on 5/6/15 10:56 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

You could be right about the yogurt making me throw up. But, my pain began when I started adding the sugar free syrup a week ago. It's the only new thing I've introduced into my diet. All my scans came out clear, no leaks or strictures. Even before my WLS I didn't use artificial sweeteners and didn't like what I read about the side effects of aspartame. Either way, I won't be using the syrups anymore. Better safe than sorry.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/6/15 1:13 pm

premier proteins has splenda - I believe.. 

Ingredients in CHOCOLATE - 11 oz.

Water, Premier Protein® Shake Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate) Cocoa Powder (processed with alkali), Contains 1% or less of the following: High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Inulin, Cellulose Gel and Cellulose Gum, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, DATEM, Salt, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Sodium Ascorbate [Vitamin C], Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E], Biotin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Phytonadione [Vitamin K], Potassium Iodide, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Chromium Chloride, Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12], Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol [Vitamin D3], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2]), Ferric Orthophosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C).

CONTAINS: MILK.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

helionoftroy
on 5/6/15 6:09 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Dang!! That's a long list of ingredients. But, Sucralose is less then 1%. I honestly don't know what else could have caused me so much pain. I was pouring a lot of syrup in my shakes. I still think it's the Splenda. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/6/15 7:30 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Splenda isn't aspartame. its sucrolose. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat