What do I tell my 8 year old?

Han Shot First
on 5/5/15 10:05 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My daughter was almost 6 when I had my surgery, and I was worried about telling her also.  She has anxiety sometimes, and I was afraid she'd be a mess.  But I also agree with you, and didn't want to lie about it.  

She didn't even notice during my pre-op diet that I was eating differently.  The night before surgery, I sat her down and told her that I had to go to the hospital to get my belly fixed.  I told her that I was going to be gone for 2 or 3 nights, and then I'd be back.  We ended up face-timing every night, and I think that really helped her (and me, being away from her!)

I was different with people knowing, though.  I told everyone before hand, and I didn't care who knew.  Now, I don't have an Ex in my life, so I can understand not wanting him to know, but if your daughter is going to know, he's going to know soon (unless he's not in her life or anything).

Good luck, and hopefully things work out telling your daughter.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Navychic
on 5/6/15 12:26 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

Gotta admit, I lied. My four yr old is Obsessive compulsive about DRs and Hospitals.  One of his teaches fell in the classroom when he was two and dislocated her hip.  You can imagine the pain he watched and the paramedics coming in to take her out.  To this day hes petrified of anything that's related.  So he just thought I was going away to work for a few days (a norm for us).  Then after the fact when he & daddy picked me up (outside) the hospital, he now knows mommies tummy was sick and she eats funny things, but shes better now.

You know your child and I'm sure youll do whats best for her.  Hope it works out well for you

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4)