on 5/5/15 10:06 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

That is great!

--

150 lost and maintaining!

J Connel
on 5/4/15 8:40 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Iloveravens said the same thing I said to my 8 year old. We assume they will ask all these questions and that explaining will be difficult but my son hasn't really seemed to notice nor care. I still make dinner for my family and eat or drink what I'm allowed right at the table with them. 

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

cspotrun
on 5/4/15 1:07 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I have an 8 year old daughter.  I told her the surgery was to fix a problem in my stomach, and not to worry because it wasn't serious.  She never even noticed my weird eating.  After the beginning stages, when I was still recovering so it didn't seem weird that I didn't eat with her, I always eat familiy dinners, just my own portions and skip the carbs.  She probably has even forgotten at this point that I had surgery in July.

Karen   

Jody S.
on 5/5/15 8:11 am, edited 5/5/15 8:11 am
VSG on 07/29/15

Thanks.  I might just go this route after the fact when she comes back home. 

bruindiva92
on 5/4/15 1:19 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I had VSG surgery on 3/30/15 and I have a 9 year old son.  I involved him in the process from the beginning.  I explained that I was having surgery to improve my health so I can be around for him a long time.  I told him about the process of removing my stomach, I would be in pain for a week or so and that his "grammy" would come over to help me. I also explained that I would lose weight gradually and possibly look different.  The type of food (no more McDonalds for me) and amount of food would change and there would be some foods that I would not eat again.  He told me he loved me just the way I was but if I needed to get healthier (and get rid of the batwings) he would help!  And he has been quite helpful ;-)

Shawnta31
on 5/4/15 1:30 pm

That is so sweet of him.

catalina07
on 5/4/15 9:33 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

My son was 7 when I had my first surgery (lap band). I am also very private and did not want anyone finding out about it. Only my boyfriend and parents knew. Not my sister, closest friends, nobody!  I was also afraid that he would worry and also afraid that he would blab! I chose not to tell him. He was so little I didn't think he could really understand and that might just make him more scared. I didn't want to put that on him. Also I didn't want him to have to "keep a secret". I didn't think that was a good thing to teach him at 7 years old. So, he stayed out of the home for a few days as well. Once we were both back at home, I think I told him that I hurt my back so thats why I had some pain. As for eating, I just said mommy is on a diet! It was that simple. It's only for a short time and then you are back to your old self again...just "on a diet".    As for my revision to RNY 5 months ago, He was 15. I didn't want to keep it from him. I explained everything to him and he understand why I did it, and why it's private and not to be shared with just anyone. He was actually really helpful this time around. Helping me to get up and down and getting things for me when I needed him. It feels good to be able to be honest with him now, but I do NOT regret keeping it from him the first time. I totally understand what your feeling. Everyone is different so do what you think is best and you won't regret it!

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Jody S.
on 5/5/15 8:14 am
VSG on 07/29/15

I agree with not having to keep a secret.  She's been told from early on not to keep secrets from either me or her Dad so I don't want to tell her to not tell him anything.  That's why I figure it's just best to not say anything.  Hopefully I have an uneventful recovery so I don't have to linger with it :)

mamata2
on 5/5/15 3:03 am

I have a 9 and a 10 year old, I did not tell them I was having surgery.  They stayed with their grandparents (who did not know either****il 3 days post-op.  When they got home we explained that I had surgery on my stomach for health reasons.  They were fine, some concern about my pain but very helpful and supportive.  

Good luck!

twinmom914
on 5/5/15 7:26 am

I was honest with my 9 year old twins. I told them they were staying with daddy for a week, so mommy can get surgery. They asked a few questions, I answered honestly. they were ok with it.

RNY - 11/18/14 2 hr info class, 11/20/14 referred to GB, 12/4/14 phone interview w/psych, 12/16/14 4 hr orientation, 12/30/14 hr psych visit, 12/30/14 visit with surgeon & given goal weight of 248, 12/31/14 nutrition class HW 257 Dec2014, SW 3/12/15 243