Problems with Protein

carebear77
on 5/8/15 8:15 am

Hi,

I had Roux en y on April 13th, so I am about 25 days out.  Up until last week I was doing really well getting in about 60-70 grams of protein in a day (Dr. wants between 60-80 grams daily).  Last week I started to get sick (dry heaves, since nothing was in my stomach) when drinking the protein drink (Nectar).  I spoke with the nutritionist and she said to back off the protein drinks.  I am able to eat unsweetened applesauce and Lite 'n Fit Greek yogurt (12 grams of protein) however, I can only eat 1-2 of these a day.  I have tried eggs and pureed meats but they didn't agree with me either.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Did you find anything that worked?  What are your suggestions?  I want to make sure I am getting in my protein.

Thanks

rocky513
on 5/8/15 11:24 am - WI

Are you drinking enough fluids?  Dehydration can cause nausea.  You should be drinking, MINIMUM, 64 ounces daily.  

Are you mixing the protein powder with milk?  You could be lactose intolerant.  Try mixing it with water, unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or cashew milk and see how you feel.

I would ditch the applesauce and eat an extra yogurt instead.  Applesauce has zero protein.  Eggs are notorious for causing problems early out.  Try them again in a few weeks.  You may not be ready for them yet.  Ricotta bake was my favorite when I was on soft foods  (ricotta cheese with a little marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese melted on top).   Refried beans with salsa is a good option too.  Both have protein in them and go down easily.

I could not make myself eat pureed meats.  I couldn't get past the texture.  Baked tilapia was soft enough for me to eat.  Just remember to chew everything to applesauce consistency and take very small bites.  Eating too fast, taking bites that are too big, or not chewing well enough can make you feel sick.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

carebear77
on 5/8/15 11:56 am

Hi,

Thank you!  I am not mixing my protein with milk or milk substitute as I wasn't able to handle milk prior to surgery so I have just been mixing it with water.  I have been getting in my H2O, it's tough but it is happening even if I have to stay up later, lol.  Thanks for the advice I will try the ricotta bake (I tried last week but had a hard time so I will try again).  My sister just happened to leave my 2 year old nephew's spoon at my house so I have been using that to help with small bites :)

Again, thank you for your suggestions.

poplargreys
on 5/8/15 4:07 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Have you talked to your surgeon or on-call nurse? I didn't have RNY, but at that stage post op I needed to change my PPI and they were also concerned about possible strictures if I had had prolonged issues swallowing. Call them, they are there to help you through situations like this and know your body better than we do.

NYMom222
on 5/8/15 8:46 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I would suggest trying different protein drinks... I was gagging on my protein drinks at 5 weeks... finally found Click and fit frappe and seemed to be able to get down the coffee ones...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save