Mental challenge of getting rid of clothes

i8it77
on 5/7/15 8:59 am
VSG on 04/21/15

how do you let go of things? I have 15 pairs of jeans and no longer feel that I need 15 because I know the weight will not come back-3 weeks out from surgery 

Jiliana2
on 5/7/15 9:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I kept a lot of my "favourite" stuff for a long time. Like... MONTHS.

Eventually I let most of it go. I kept four or five pieces for comparison. The other day, I put on my dress pants from my highest weight; I got in one leg and my almost 6-year old got in the other! It was funny.

Keep them for as long as you feel you need to, in order to be mentally prepared when you are truly ready to get rid of them. Don't toss them out "just because." You have to be ready to let them go. When you are, you will know it.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Kate -True Brit
on 5/7/15 9:30 am - UK

My choice was to get rid of them to a charity shop as soon as they were unbearably big (do you call them Goodwil Store?).  I was so very certain I would never wear them again, 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Navychic
on 5/7/15 10:17 am
RNY on 02/09/15

One day I started to spilt my clothes into 2 stacks, the ones I liked and the ones I just tolerated to plan to donate ie stretch wastebands etc, as I worked my way through the closet the reject pile got bigger and bigger compared to the keep pile.  It turned out to be so freeing to get rid of the larger stuff by the end of it I was chucking it all in. 

A friend who also had WLS told me her psych had compared getting rid of them to a weight off of you in guilt.  You may feel guilty about all of those clothes sitting unused in the closet and taking up space even though you can't wear them...who needs that.  Although I do plan to keep some things in one size over the smallest size I get to.

Good luck getting to those really small sizes!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

christinerocks
on 5/7/15 12:30 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I am now 4 weeks out, and last week I donated my entire winter wardrobe to charity because it was already big.  I know I will not be wearing it in 6 months, and I am committed to losing the weight and managing through maintenance. I saved one pair of jeans (for comparison) and then, I sucked it up and let it all go.  

anyway, I too am a keeper and a saver.  Only you can decide when you're ready but honestly, this felt truly fantastic. A little weird at first -- I love clothes -- but once I dropped everything off at the donation center I felt lighter.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Thebiggestloser
on 5/7/15 5:06 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

This has been one of the hardest parts for me. I've sold most - the money I make I find great deals at the thrift store and I've repeated this process several sizes. I have always been overweight and my wardrobe took years to create.... Being big finding things you like are hard and it's scary to let it go. 

gram247
on 5/13/15 12:31 pm

I got rid of my "fat clothes" as soon as They became too big. I went from a size 32-34 to a 10-12. I even went so far as buying some smaller sizes an completely bypassing that size. 

All went to Goodwill, or Dress for Success - my business clothes. 

Now I have a great time replenishing my wardrobe! 

It was / is a motivational thing for me. 

I was afraid that if I had anything too big in my closet, I would not worry about finding something to wear. Now, all I have are clothes that I can fit into this minute. 

Good luck on your journey. 

poplargreys
on 5/13/15 6:11 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I have been ruthlessly paring down my wardrobe since surgery. At 6 weeks out the number of items that FIT barely fill two dresser drawers and one garment bag, and I couldn't be happier. I have been waffling over keeping a single pair of fatpants so that I can do comparison shots once I reach my goal, but I don't even know if I'm going to do that. I'm already going to carry the souvenirs of my former life in skin, stretch marks and wrinkles, I don't know if I want a giant pair of pants in my closet as another reminder.