Chewing

kbmerritt84
on 5/7/15 7:29 am
with

Ok, so this is weird, but I've discovered that part of my eating issues stem from the chewing.  I find chewing to be a distraction and stress reliever. Clearly this isn't going to help me lose weight and keep it off if I'm eating all the damn time just to chew.

I've tried gum but I don't like fruity flavors much and they ones that are 'sugar free' taste weird.  So my question is this:

What else can I chew on?  IS there a savory type of gum that you know and like or make yourself even?  Do you maybe have other ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Maria27
on 5/7/15 8:47 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I find that using chewable multivitamins and calcium are enough to satisfy my desires. I don't know if that is enough for you, but it is several times every single day. Initially I got through the day by looking forward to taking them. I don't give it much thought anymore, but I still enjoy them.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Jiliana2
on 5/7/15 9:11 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm a cinnamon gum addict! (I'm not keen on the fruit flavours either.) Either the cinnamon or a mint that's "suck-in-your-breath" fresh. Those do it for me.

And my other distraction is water. I keep my water bottle going almost all the time (except around meals of course!).

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Hislady
on 5/7/15 8:26 pm - Vancouver, WA

Besides just finding a different flavor gum try to find something else that is relaxing and will distract you. Chewing should only be for food not an activity to pass the time. When I need to relax or just want to kill time (that doesn't happen very often, too busy with other things) I knit, crochet, do cross stitch, puzzle books or crossword puzzles. I also used to read a lot but don't have much time anymore for things that take concentration. Any time you can replace a food activity with a non food activity it is a good thing. Look for things that have no connection with food. Lots of surgeons don't want you chewing gum reasoning that it could cause problems if it is accidently swallowed. Good luck to you!