neuropathy foot pain

marlene52414
on 4/30/15 1:32 am

Hello everyone!

I was hoping to get some help, advise any information regarding Neuropathy foot pain.

has anyone had this problem before surgery? did it go away after surgery? or did the pain subside?

I'm about to turn 28, I'M a type 2 diabetic and I'm getting the first symptoms of nerve damage.

this is so depressing.

I am only waiting to get my endoscopy done so that they can send my results to my surgeon and hopefully send all my paperwork to the insurance to get approved.  My surgery can't come any sooner. I'm terrified that the process will be longer and i'll have more nerve damage. 

I would appreciate anyone's responses.

thank you!

Mary Gee
on 4/30/15 2:19 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Mary Gee
on 4/30/15 2:20 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I had severe neuropathy pain pre-op.  Pins and Needles, burning sensation, numbness, weakness -- the whole nine yards.  Over time it changed -- and I don't know if it's related to the surgery or not.  Now my symptoms are numbness (like my legs are dead weight) and weakness - it's difficult to lift my legs when going upstairs and I have balance problems.  I have to use a cane.  But, all in all, better now-a-days than before.  It's still an issue - but not as painful.

Good luck to you -- I hope you can get your surgery sooner, rather than later.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

marlene52414
on 4/30/15 2:49 am

Thanks MaryGee. :)

JB1114
on 4/30/15 3:26 am - Grain Valley, MO

My husband has Neuropathy and his is caused from taking Coumadin for many years.  He found relief with a chiropractor and had treatments for several weeks.  He was fine for awhile but the pain came back.  That clinic no longer takes his insurance and he hasn't found anyone treating Neuropathy that he can afford.

You are so young.  Sure hope the surgery and weight loss takes care of it.  My husband isn't overweight.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

jenorama
on 4/30/15 3:45 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Neuropathy is no joke and I'm sad to hear that you're experiencing it so young.  :(  My brother in law has had some success with chiropractic therapy with his foot issues, so that might be an avenue.  In the runup to surgery, have you had your B vitamins checked?  Tingling/numbness in the extremities can also be related to low B12, but since you're already type2 diabetic, that might not be your case.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted on your progress!

Jen

marlene52414
on 4/30/15 4:49 am

Thank you ladies!! I'm praying to god the surgery helps.

I've been reading a lot and i think it has a lot to do with my high sugar levels.  I was put on insulin and my levels are going down. thank goodness.  I hope that with my levels going down the numbness will go away. (wishful thinking)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/30/15 6:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I had severe neuropathy prior to surgery, not from diabetes, but a side effect from chemotherapy in 2008.  I was taking gabapentin daily prior to surgery.

The neuropathy has lessened a great deal since I've lost so much weight.  It hasn't gone completely but it's much more tolerable.  I no longer take gabapentin since I don't seem to need it or find any relief from it.

I don't know if you'll have the same result since our causations are different, but weight loss can do amazing things for your body in ways you never expect.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

marlene52414
on 4/30/15 8:49 am

Thank you for your input! :)

Hislady
on 4/30/15 10:17 am - Vancouver, WA

I had neuropathy in my feet before surgery and have been on neurontin (gabapentin)for it. It has helped the burning alot, I still have some pain off and on which i can handle it was the burning feeling that drove me nuts. So now that I have that under control the pain part is tolerable. I didn't notice any difference after surgery tho. Like others have said tho it is so individual and depends on what caused it in the first place. I imagine mine is from being on coumadin too since I have been on it almost 30 yrs. I hope weight loss will improve yours but if not keep working with a neurologist to see if you can find something to help it out, there are new meds out everyday.