Do you think you are experiencing hypoglycemia?

Kathy S.
on 4/28/15 6:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Some of us have issues with hypoglycemia after WLS.  I personally have had issues with this.  Knowing the signs is a big help.  If I start to experience any of these symptoms I know to get to a safe place and eat something to raise my blood sugar.

Be Aware of Low Blood Sugar Symptoms

The warning signs of hypoglycemia may vary from person to person, but it's important to know about and be alert to all of them. They include:

• Feeling very shaky or trembling
  • Feeling weak or dizzy
  • Sweating or feeling cold and clammy
  • Experiencing extreme hunger pangs
  • Having trouble keeping your balance or staggering when you walk
  • Having pale or gray skin
  • Experiencing a bad headache
  • Becoming confused and unable to think or concentrate
  • Feeling uncharacteristically moody or cranky
  • Having a tingling sensation around your mouth
  • Having double vision or vision that has grown blurry
  • Experiencing a quickening heartbeat 

Some people will experience an episode of hypoglycemia in their sleep. Signs of nocturnal hypoglycemia include:

• Waking up with your pajamas or sheets soaked with sweat
  • Feeling cranky, irritable, tired, or confused after waking up
  • Having nightmares or crying out in your sleep

People with extreme hypoglycemia may pass out or experience seizures as a result of low blood sugar. They are in danger of lapsing into a coma and could die if not treated.

Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Brandi Girl
on 4/28/15 7:56 am
WLS on 10/18/11

GREAT and very important post!! I had a lot of problems with this right after my surgery! It was very scary and at the time I was not sure what was going on. I think my body had to get use to not taking in sugar and the amount of food it had been prior to surgery. Thanks for posting 

jastypes
on 4/29/15 12:04 am - Croydon, PA

I have what is known specifically as Reactive Hypoglycemia, which is very common several years out from WLS.  It is not brought about by lack of food, but rather occurs 1 to 3 hours after eating, and usually after eating either too much food, in general, or too many carbs, in particular.  It has been controllable for me by watching the amount of carbohydrates I eat at any given time.  More than one serving (1/4 c. of starch or 1 slice of bread) is likely to cause this reaction in me.  I have had friends in the WLS community who have passed out (2 while driving!), and some who have had seizures that took the doctors quite a while to diagnose, as the blood sugar seems to return to normal often on its own, so by the time the EMS team arrives, the sugar doesn't seem completely insane.  I've been able to check my sugar and find it in the low 30's!!!  I was warned about "carb cycling," which is where I have a reactive hypoglycemic episode because I ate too many carbs; I eat carbs/sugar to bring the level back up; I have another episode an hour later; eat more carbs, etc. etc.  My dietician recommended a glass of milk when I feel my sugar dropping.  That's tough, because I want to eat everything not nailed down when it does happen. 

Again, the medical community finds this difficult to diagnose because it usually happens 1-3 hours after eating.  The normal glucose tolerance test really throws those of us with RNY into a bad place due to dumping syndrome, and doesn't give a true picture of RHG.  If you think you have it, here is a great article http://thebypassedlife.com/reactive-hypoglycemia/

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Willie H.
on 4/30/15 1:51 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Wow. Thanks for the post. I noticed one day after I ate 1/2 of  a cinnamon raisin doughnut that later on I experienced all of the symptoms above. I knew right away it was hypoglycemia being that I've experienced it in the past but usually only after I overheated such as after playing a sport or wearing too many clothes. Yet, this time was different because it hit me extremely hard. In the past I would eat some raisins, peanuts, diet soda and it would past immediately. Yet this time it lingered for awhile to the point I became scared. I ate 1/2 a banana and some chocolate covered almonds and eventually it subsided but it was strange that it happened to me after eating that 1/2 doughnut and then  just sitting down at my desk. It also may occur if I drink coffee first thing in the morning without eating first-I get the jitters. So thanks for bringing this to my attention, never connected it to WLS!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Kathy S.
on 4/30/15 1:55 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Willie,

Yes, this can be related to our WLS.  My scariest event was when I was grocery shopping and I started to shake, sweat, and my thinking was really fuzzy.  The next thing I remember is I am sitting in the pharmacy area eating chocolate chips from a bag.  This really freaked me out as I had no memory of getting the chips and sitting down.  I related the episode to my son and he put Find My Friends on my phone to keep track of me LOL  I now keep stuff in my purse at all times.

Good Luck to you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130