Hello!

chaplainJess
on 4/26/15 10:37 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am 32, 5'7 and 290. I am 90% sure that I want weight loss surgery, and am in the "research - read everything I can" stage. I'm not sure about which surgery. I'm going back and forth between VGS and DS. I'm not sure if restriction is enough for me, but the idea of malabsorption (sp?) and a lifetime of taking vitamins scares me. I don't take any medication, so going from no daily pills, to lots of daily pills gives me pause. That said the success rate of the DS keeps luring me in! I haven't talked to a surgeon yet, so hopefully that will clarify a few things for me.  I think my next step is to attend one of the free informational seminars.

I called my insurance company and it is covered. 80/20 till I hit my max out of pocket, which is pretty high. (If I would have known I was going to pursue this earlier, I would have picked a plan with a lower deductible... oh well. I know I'm lucky that it is covered at all)

I feel like I'm rambling... I am so glad to have found this group!

Thanks!

Jess

Cassandra B.
on 4/27/15 1:44 am - Alexandria, VA

Good Day to you Jess,

First off, I'm glad you are taking the most important step...RESEARCH! This is very crucial.  After that, if you haven't already, attend one of the free seminars to learn even more about the various procedures, and actually get to talk to the surgeons/insurance folks.

Second, I had my gastric bypass surgery (RNY) in 2008.  I had never taken any pills before, but I take my vitamins everyday.  It's not a big deal to take them...I really should have been taking them way before my surgery to tell you the truth. Don't be scared about the pill taking for the rest of your life...I've been doing it for 7 years now, and feel/look great!

I'm 7 years out and have still been able to keep off my weight with just walking/watching what I eat.  Remember, whatever surgery you choose, always keep active, watch what you eat, and go by the book and listen to your doctor...that's very important! 

Stick to it...keep doing your research. Good luck to you!

Stay blessed and always encouraged.

Cassandra B. (www.tallnsassy.net or www.tallnsassy.com)

RNY in 2008 by Dr. Amir Moazzez (INOVA Fair Oaks Hospital, VA)

Gwen M.
on 4/27/15 1:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You'll need to take vitamins for life regardless of which surgery you opt for :)  I went from only taking BCP every day to taking 10+ vitamins each day.  It's no big deal, just something that I do.  

Welcome!  I love my sleeve and the inspiration and motivation it has given me to change my life!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 4/27/15 2:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I don't think I was 100% sure I was having it done until I let them walk me into the OR.... I don't regret it at all. Not all Docs do DS, so you have to make sure it is an option both with Doc and insurance. Some insurances only pay for certain procedures. As previously mentioned you need to be taking vitamins for life no matter what procedure you have and have regular follow up bloodwork. I wanted a procedure that had a malabsorption component as well, as I know I was able to restrict my eating in the recent past and still not lose weight, I was concerned with the sleeve even if I was doing the right things I might not lose enough.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Ready2goNOW
on 4/27/15 5:19 am

Welcome Jess!

I think you will find this site a treasure for information from those who have 1st hand knowledge of a wide array of subjects!

I agree research & attending the WLS seminar will help guide you to a decision. Also, there are forums for every type of WLS on here so I would suggest visiting each one & talking to members of those boards.

In reference to having to take pills...I was the same as you. I was proud I had no medical problems that required medication until diagnosed with HBP in my mid-40's. I never even took vitamins up to that point. Now, due to my obesity I take 6 different medications daily...UGH!!!

So for me the lesser of the 2 evils would be getting the weight off and taking vitamins and/or supplements before getting diagnosed w/a irreversible medical problem. I have a-fib...an irregular heartbeat that will not be 'cured' like some other medical conditions are like HBP, diabetes, and sleep apnea.

So do your homework and find what's best for you, and then enjoy the journey! I am still pre-op, but have learned so much since starting this. I have already lost 30 pounds!

Good luck!

Kathy