"Life is too Short not to eat Good Food ..."

Kathyjs
on 4/22/15 5:33 am

Diets make you fat, well me at least . I eat good food .I grow lots of veggies, I am lucky enough to have fruit trees. I eat meat but since I can eat so little I have the 'best ' meat. I look at labels , if there is more than three things listed I don't buy. Well that is what works for this 65 year old lady 

zann50
on 4/22/15 8:51 am

I will use a small font to say, I mostly shop the perimeter of grocery stores.  There are so few labels to read and discern.  I am speaking of a "newbie shopping list" consisting of eggs, meats, fish and simple organic veggies.  I believe it to be "good" food.  It is most satisfying at this stage.  I hope it continues to take me through a lifetime of eating.

Zann

VGS- 2015

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/22/15 10:47 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

The skinny chicks might be saying I refuse to diet because in their head a diet is temporary. You reach a goal & then you go off the "diet" They are probably doing what most of us are doing which is a lifestyle change. Changing how you look at food, changing how you feel about food, using food for fuel instead of feeding an emotional need, etc. In that sense they're not dieting.

Most people on here, I would think are not starving their body, but forcing their body to use its fat stores for fuel rather than getting it from carbs. I'm not sure about the "Good Food", terminology. I feel food is neither good or bad, it's just food. However clearly there are foods that I have no business eating, especially if I know it's a trigger food, or food that'll just make my sugar go nutso only so I can crash & feel miserable later. I luv Ben & Jerry's but I had to give it up, for 1 I could never just eat 1 serving & put it away, nope once the lid came off it was time to eat, & let me lick off the frosting off a Entemans choc cake while I'm at it.

I find distracting myself when I want to just put something in my mouth to work for me. If I'm reading, cleaning, etc I'm not thinking about food. Sometimes munching on dense protein does the trick too., & if I really really had to have something, I'd find something sweet to suck on. My reasoning is that it'll "take the edge off" & I can't go overboard on it cuz it takes to long to finish up.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

KattattaK
on 4/23/15 1:26 am

I agree. Of course, those women aren't dieting. They don't need to, because their regular diet more than likely consists of healthy foods. I'm sure, their idea of a splurge treat may be a very small serving of an organic, vegan, gluten free, stevia sweetened brownie perhaps?? I know thin, fit people who don't diet, but the way they eat is uber clean and healthy, and because they've always eaten this way, it is a way of life for them, so there is no need for them to "diet". One of my friends literally told the other day that she had splurged and had a special treat. I asked her what she had eaten, and she seemed soooo guilty as she looked down at the floor and uttered "a handful of gluten free granola". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying whether this is healthy or not, but my idea of splurging or "cheating" would definitely involve something a bit harsher than a handful of gluten free granola lol!!! I suppose she was referring to all the carbs 😉

NikkyBeauty
on 4/22/15 1:55 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15
Ladytazz
on 4/22/15 8:08 pm

It is contradictory because dieting in the traditional since has meant deprivation and starvation to obtain a desired goal and isn't usually designed to be a lifestyle change, but a temporary change in eating habits, followed until the numbers are where you want them to be.

I think dieting in that definition is the worse thing a person can do in order to control their weight.

I am sure you have heard about Penn Jillette losing something like 100 lbs in 100 days.  My guess is he will most likely regain 125 lbs in 60 days.  At least that is how it always worked for me.  

Somehow, at the end of the diet, within a few months I weighed more than when I began.

However, if you use the term diet to refer to simply whatever food you put into your mouth, hopefully to obtain and maintain a healthy weight, then it really is what we all do to obtain those goals.

A friend is having the sleeve surgery and we talked a bit and I mentioned that having the sleeve would be a big help for her but she still would need to make good choices and work for her weight loss.

Whenever I hear skinny people boast that they never have to diet I ask what it is they eat regularly and it doesn't tend to be a diet of fast food and junk.  It usually is good, healthy choices, with some unhealthier choices in there but not it huge amounts and not frequently.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/22/15 8:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't know why everyone's shouting.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gina 22 years out
on 4/22/15 10:57 pm - Burleson, TX

GRIM...for some, so we can see...for others..it's a breakthrough..long time coming...very therapeutic

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/23/15 1:06 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 22 years out
on 4/22/15 10:54 pm - Burleson, TX

For many of us...having "dieted" up and down the scales (over and over and over and over) our metabolisms are SHOT...and we're not teenagers anymore, either...it all works against us...But we are NOT hopeless, by any means..or we old vets wouldn't be around

A FABULOUS friend, on another forum, recently shared something that I have adopted, and absolutely LOVE:

" HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY "

Isn't that greatness? I want to tat it, to the back of my eating hand...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things