Water consumption with pouch

JoshN
on 4/22/15 1:44 am

Hello,

I'm getting my surgery this Monday, and I'm curious abou****er.  I've been doing some research, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question.  When you fill the pouch up with water, how long does it take to empty so I can drink more?  Obviously there will be some differences person to person, but I was just wondering what people experience is with that. 

Kathy S.
on 4/22/15 2:24 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  You didn't mention what type of surgery you are having but everyone is different.  The big challenge is getting use to sipping. Have a water bottle in your had at all times and sip, sip, sip....

Good Luck! 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 4/22/15 2:25 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
JoshN
on 4/22/15 3:05 am

Sorry, I'm having the bypass. :)

I bought a 2.2 liter bottle that I take with me to work to practice drinking water.  I'm trying to figure out if I fill the pouch completeley, how long it would be until it was empty.  5 minutes?  10?  30 seconds? 

EP1958
on 4/22/15 3:06 am

I have found tha****er moves through rather quickly that is why with the RNY you are supposed to wait an hour after eating before drinking liquids.

Lolabug
on 4/22/15 4:06 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

My surgeon told me that all liquids will just flow through me. Right after surgery, he told me that I could drink as much as I could/wanted. Since we lose our pyloric valve, there is nothing keeping liquid in our pouches.

JoshN
on 4/22/15 4:15 am

That's pretty much what I assumed, but I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks lola. :)

rocky513
on 4/22/15 5:19 am - WI

RNY bypasses the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach.  Our new plumbing is basically a tiny funnel making fluids move pretty quickly through the pouch.  That is the reason why we are not supposed to drink with our meals.  Drinking with meals will thin out the solid food making it easier to move through our pouch quickly, which then  makes us able to eat more.  With no dense protein sitting in our pouch, we also can feel hunger faster.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Valerie G.
on 4/22/15 5:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Even with a sleeve stomach as part of my DS, I could only sip a little at a time, and it was HARD.  64oz is your minimum, and it's going to suck.  You just keep a giant cup with you at all times and keep sipping, even if you have to set an alarm to get up in the night.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathkeb
on 4/22/15 7:57 am

Fluids pretty much go straight through --- but if you visualize a funnel, you will understand how you can 'overfill' it -- and cause back up

I had a hiatial hernia repair along with my WLS, and as such, I was only able to tolerate small sips for a few weeks -- due to swelling and discomfort.

As time went on, I was able to drink more 'at a time'  ---  my best advice is to start slowly, sipping all day --- and work your way up to a normal intake.

Kath