What's Your Sugar Tolerance Now?

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 2:36 am - Alexandria, VA

Pre-op, I was ok with anything with sugar in it.  I used to drink Coke every once in a while before my surgery.  Post-op, about 2 years after my surgery, I tried a regular Coke, and wanted to die...my go**** was sooooo sweet!  I couldn't drink my favorite soda anymore. So, then I tried Diet Coke, and I was ok with that.  I know we're not supposed to be drinking carbonated drinks to begin with, but I've got to have my Diet Coke.

Other things are too sugary for me as well, so I really do limit my sugar intake.  Any juice I drink is sugar free, but even with that, and the Diet Coke, they may not have sugar in them, but the sugar subsitutes...that really isn't good for us either, correct? Seems like a lose-lose situation.

Anyone else have issues with your sugar intake post-op...especially 5 years out and beyond?

Stay blessed and always encouraged.

Cassandra B. (www.tallnsassy.net or www.tallnsassy.com)

RNY in 2008 by Dr. Amir Moazzez (INOVA Fair Oaks Hospital, VA)

MyLady Heidi
on 4/21/15 4:02 am

I guess I am not getting your question exactly.  I was diabetic before surgery, stepped away off my meds, still off them 10 years later and I dump on too much sugar and do get RH if I eat some certain things, so pretty intense blood sugar crashes.  Nothing tastes too sweet, I don't drink soda of any variety and I do eat some candy, but I try to limit my chocolate consumption to keep myself at goal.  I love sweets, they were my downfall, now we have made peace with each other.

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 4:10 am - Alexandria, VA

The question was basically, do you have a different tolerance for sugar pre-op than you do post-op? I was ok with sugar pre-op, but post-op I really can't stand too much sugar at all. That was it.

Sorry for any confusion.

Kathy S.
on 4/21/15 5:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Cassandra,

The first few years I had bad reactions to sugar and fatty foods if I tried a bite or two.  Now almost 10 years out sadly I can eat sugar until I turn into a sugar cube, but fatty foods?  NO WAY!  Knowing I can eat sugar I make sure to control it or I would put all my weight back on in a blink of an eye.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 10:17 am - Alexandria, VA

I hear ya. I'm watching my sugar/calorie intake too.

None of us want to regain our weight back. We all worked too hard to go backwards.

Thank you for your post. 

Maria27
on 4/21/15 5:11 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

The research on whether sugar substitutes are bad is sketchy at best. IMO sugar is the real poison, especially for anyone fighting obesity, and it is certainly worse than any sugar substitute. Don't fall for the natural fallacy and assume that sugar is better than "artificial" sweeteners. I lost my sugar tolerance long before surgery. Sugar is highly addictive, and anyone who avoids it will lose their tolerance for it. I drank Coke every day for many years, but once I stopped, I couldn't stand the taste of it. Even before surgery, too much sugar made me sick to my stomach and feel overall gross. Products are over sweetened in order to keep people addicted and appeal to those with high sugar tolerances.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 10:19 am - Alexandria, VA

Thanks Maria.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/15 12:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On April 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM Pacific Time, Maria27 wrote:

The research on whether sugar substitutes are bad is sketchy at best. IMO sugar is the real poison, especially for anyone fighting obesity, and it is certainly worse than any sugar substitute. Don't fall for the natural fallacy and assume that sugar is better than "artificial" sweeteners. I lost my sugar tolerance long before surgery. Sugar is highly addictive, and anyone who avoids it will lose their tolerance for it. I drank Coke every day for many years, but once I stopped, I couldn't stand the taste of it. Even before surgery, too much sugar made me sick to my stomach and feel overall gross. Products are over sweetened in order to keep people addicted and appeal to those with high sugar tolerances.

The exception I would make to the above are sugar alcohols. Things like stevia, aspartame, etc. don't bother most people. But sugar alcohols will do a rwal number -- gas, diarrhea, all sorts of bad things.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ladytazz
on 4/21/15 12:06 pm

I avoid sugar like the plague.  I found out early on that I dump when I accidentally had something with sugar in it.  Now, nearly 5 years later I have no desire to see if I can tolerate sugar or not.

I just assume I don't and move on because I'm afraid if I did tolerate it I would be eating it by the shovel full like before surgery.

Whether or not I tolerate it I am completely addicted to it and too much is never enough.

There is no earthly reason for me to eat sugar.  I have managed quite well for nearly 5 years and don't feel deprived at all.

I read about others who thought they could moderate the intake and found out they couldn't.  I know if I tried it would not end well.  Or end at all.

I am the same with gluten things.  I avoid them as well.

A few weeks ago I was at a buffet and I had a few bites of something that I realized probably had wheat in it.

A few hours later I knew for sure it did when I became bloated.  I rarely experience bloating like that now so I knew it was the thing I ate.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

siberiancat
on 4/22/15 12:09 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I was a white flour and sugar addict before surgery and both were involved in leading to morbid obesity.  Since I know eating them only makes me want to eat more - I avoid them.

I also have Reactive Hypoglycemia if I eat carbs between meals - so, if I want anything with more than 9 grams of sugar I must eat with protein and some fat so my blood sugar won't be in the 40's two hours later.

I also don't drink calories - with the exception of protein drinks, or some half and half added to hot tea.  Just my personal rule.

I also chose before my RNY (6 years ago) to omit any carbonated beverages.  Diet Pepsi was constantly in my hand.  It's been 6 years with no diet soda and I don't miss it at all.

I had to choose to eat for health and energy.  Food must nourish my body.  If food provides high calories with little to no nutrients to fuel my body - I just say NO.

Best wishes, 

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery