They Say I Don't Need Plastic Surgery? Yeah Right!

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 2:01 am - Alexandria, VA

Why is it that everytime the topic of weightloss comes up (and folks know that I've had WLS), and I say that I have so much extra skin, and that I'd like to eventually have plastic surgery, they always reply, "you don't need that, where is your extra skin"?

They just see my outward appearance (in clothing), and don't know that I feel like a monster sometimes with the way I look in the mirror (naked).  I see all that extra skin between my thighs, on my abdomen, on my arms, and my back area. Sometimes I feel like people just don't understand. 

You go through the surgery to get healthy (which I now am), but then, some of us are left with so much excess skin (you probably can't tell from my post-op pictures on my profile, but...nevertheless), we still feel ugly sometimes and discouraged.  I get this feeling every once in a while.

Plastic surgery just isn't in my budget at all, so I deal with it by wearing body shapers (which is ok), but sometimes I wish I didn't have to wear them.  If I don't, then I look like a hot mess, and someone who doesn't really care about their appearance. Cant have that! 

I do need plastic surgery to remove all this excess skin (that sometimes gets irritated in spots) but as of right now, it's not in the cards.  I wish bariatric surgery was a complete medical insurance package, from having the WLS to having the removal of excess skin afterwards.  That would be great if medical insurance would pay for that, but in most cases, they don't...like in my case.

I have my positive days, and my not so positive days with regard to how I feel when I look in the mirror (naked) with this excess skin.

Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to afford the plastic surgery to remove all this extra skin that I'm carrying around.

I'll keep the faith. I've gotta stay blessed and always encouraged too...but sometimes, it's hard.

ladygodiva1228
on 4/21/15 2:16 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Make sure you document any rashes or irritation you get from the excess skin with your doctor.  You never know what the insurance company may cover down the road.  Some will cover the panni removal if the rashes get bad enough.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 2:26 am - Alexandria, VA

Thanks! Will do.

Stay blessed and always encouraged.

Cassandra B. (www.tallnsassy.net or www.tallnsassy.com)

RNY in 2008 by Dr. Amir Moazzez (INOVA Fair Oaks Hospital, VA)

DoryAnne2
on 4/21/15 2:17 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I understand totally.  When we're dressed, people can't see the loose skin.  I know the most important thing is to be healthier, which we all are, but it still matters how we look.  I have loose skin on my legs and stomach, but nothing hanging.  I can live with that, but I've been saving up to have my arms done since it's so hard to hide them and I'm so self-conscious in short-sleeve shirts because of the crepey, hanging skin.  It IS a shame that insurance doesn't cover most plastic surgeries.  Good luck with both accepting yourself more AND saving for some surgery in the future if you're able. 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 2:27 am - Alexandria, VA

That's probably what I need to start doing...saving up.

Thanks for your post.

DoryAnne2
on 4/21/15 2:18 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I understand totally.  When we're dressed, people can't see the loose skin.  I know the most important thing is to be healthier, which we all are, but it still matters how we look.  I have loose skin on my legs and stomach, but nothing hanging.  I can live with that, but I've been saving up to have my arms done since it's so hard to hide them and I'm so self-conscious in short-sleeve shirts because of the crepey, hanging skin.  It IS a shame that insurance doesn't cover most plastic surgeries.  Good luck with both accepting yourself more AND saving for some surgery in the future if you're able. 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

MickeyDee
on 4/21/15 6:35 am

I can totally agree;  I thank heavens nobody has X-ray vision.  And I haven't worn a sleeveless shirt outside the house in years.

Look into ps in Mexico;  Dr Quiroz did a LBL for a friend of mine and it was much less expensive than in the US.  It all included the accomodations and cross-border transportation, too.  You can probably find their website on OH for further info.

Cassandra B.
on 4/21/15 10:04 am - Alexandria, VA

Thanks.

siberiancat
on 4/22/15 12:17 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I did have a fleur de lis abdominoplasty and brachioplasty (arms).  My plastic surgeon wanted me to be at goal weight for one year.  Neither procedure was covered by insurance and I had both procedures at the same time!

I cashed in some stock type funds from a previous employer to fund the surgery.  My abdomen and arms bothered me the most and they look great.

I also have hanging skin on thighs and buttocks, but I can cover that up with jeans, pants and cropped pants.  I won't wear shorts.

The plastic surgery was difficult and long recovery.  I've decided to just live with the hanging, giggly skin below the waist.  Even if I could afford thigh/butt surgery - I don't want the pain.

You can get more support from posting on the plastic surgery forum.  You can click on my name or avatar picture and see my before/after pictures.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Tracy D.
on 4/23/15 5:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I know exactly what you mean, Cassandra!!  My family (except for my hubby) is APPALLED that I'm having a lower body lift.  They see me in my clothes - and I dress carefully to conceal the excess - and they believe "fine".  

I've told them before that I could completely gross them out and pull handfuls of loose skin out of the top of my jeans.  That usually shuts them up.  But I've decided that since the date has actually been set for my plastics (July 8th) that I'm going to show them.  Yup - this weekend is going to be the "big reveal"!!  I can't wait to see the look on my mom's and SIL's faces who are so anti-surgery (especially SIL who is 5'5" and 120 lbs. dripping weight by the way) when they see all the excess I can pull out over the top of my pants.  I really should have my husband video it - lol!   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15