Blood clots

Billy1965
on 4/20/15 2:05 pm

Diagnosed with blood clots in lungs.  Can I still have surgery 

nicola3301
on 4/20/15 4:19 pm

You have been diagnosed with blood clots before surgery?  I know that if you have a history of blood clots you would need to be on more strict blood thinners before, during, and after surgery to try and prevent them from forming. I would say that if you have clots now, they will need to put you on blood thinners now to help dissolve them and wait for surgery until you are stable. Good luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/15 10:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is really something for your surgeon to decide. Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Heather B.
on 4/21/15 3:50 am - Wyandotte, MI

I had 2 DVT's (leg clots) and 2 PE (lung clots) before surgery. I am assuming your clot is gone or you should be in the hospital. I was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden which means I will be on blood thinners for life no matter how much weight I lose.

You should likely find out why you had clots. The surgeon will decide but I can tell you it is not impossible to have had clots and then have surgery.

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

Kathyjs
on 4/22/15 5:52 am

We would have no idea, sorry. I know some people who had filters inserted to catch the clots. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/22/15 12:37 pm - OH

If you have current clots in your lungs, you almost certainly cannot have surgery right now.

If you are talking about a history of clots in your lungs, well, the decision to do surgery or not will be up to your surgeon based on his/her evaluation of the situation that caused the clots in the first place, your risk for more clots, and how effective the surgeon believes the prophylactic actions (e.g, putting you on an anticoagulant (if you are not already on one) and having an IVC filter put in) and post-op actions (e.g., making you walk every hour) will be.  Many people with a strong history of blood clots (including myself) have WLS. Sometimes it just means additional precautions.

Also, one surgeon might not be willing to operate but another one might.  You will just have to talk the surgeon about it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.