Flinstones VS the Fancy Schmancy Vitamins

Grim_Traveller
on 4/19/15 8:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is exactly what I try to explain to people. Many complain about the high cost of vitamins. There are less expensive alternatives, but with the ton of money we save on food, as well as all the prescription meds we no longer take, it's a windfall.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/20/15 8:29 am, edited 4/20/15 9:52 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On April 19, 2015 at 6:42 AM Pacific Time, christinerocks wrote:

There are less expensive and still effective options out there, and I used them pre-surgery.  but I decided to make the investment in bariatric vitamins for post surgery.  First of all, I wanted to protect my health. But I've found that I'm saving an astonishing amount of money on groceries and take out and everything else - this more than pays for the vitamins!  (And I'm only 13 days post op!)

Exactly  

After going through WLS, are you willing take cheap vitamins that do not meet your new nutritional requirements?  What is your health worth to you?

I spend a tenth on what I did on food prior to surgery.  I take bariatric vitamins, at least right now while I'm still losing weight.  We'll see what the future holds down the road, but I'll always make sure they fall into compliance with ASMBS requirements.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/19/15 12:13 am

Generic chewable from CVS - spectrivite adults-  are rather inexpensive (buy one get one free) and have all the vitamins that centrum has. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 4/19/15 12:17 am, edited 4/21/15 12:01 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Keep in mind that surgeons specialize in cutting, not nutrition.  They're lucky if they took a semester of it in medical school.  That's why they direct their patients to see a nutritonist or dietician (to remove the liability).  Once upon a time, wls surgeons recmmended flintstones for a multi and tums for calcium.  They didn't know any better and patients fought with malnutrition.  Flintstones lack key nutrients that adults need, and Tums are just the wrong kind of calcium altogether for wls patients.

Today there are plenty of chewable adult vitamins.  Since you don't malabsorb, you will probably fare well with a regular dosage, maybe a double-dose to compensate for the amount of food you will no longer be eating.  You don't need designer bariatric vitamins, though.  Nobody does, really, if they take the time to learn what their labs mean, watch for trends and adjust their regimens to suit their true needs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Triksy
on 4/19/15 1:09 am
RNY on 05/20/15

My NUT recommended that I take Centrum chewable once a day. That just doesn't seem like enough to me. What do you guys think?

She also has me taking Calcium, and Biotin. I've paid this woman a lot of money and I'm not sure that I trust her judgement after reading so much here.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/19/15 1:21 am

For RNY at least 2 Centrums (or equivalent) 2x a day

Plus you would need extra calcium citrate, and most likely extra iron. Plus anything else that you would be low when you start getting your lab work. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 4/21/15 12:06 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

She's setting you up for failure.  You're definitely not taking enough, but she's probably waiting for you to tank on something so she can show how she saved your life or something. 

To get your money's worth, have her teach you how to read your own labs and watch for downward trends when comparing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Triksy
on 4/21/15 9:56 pm
RNY on 05/20/15

Thanks, I will definitely do that, because I have to see her its part of the contract with my surgeon. But that information would be helpful so that will be what I ask her to work on with me.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

lcraver
on 4/19/15 3:07 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

Since we are talking vitamins, I have a question? Exact how much calcium citrate should a gastric bypass patient be taking.  500 or 1500 mg a day? The exact amount was never specify to me by my NUT or doctor's office.

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

christinerocks
on 4/19/15 4:06 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

My nutritionist advised me 1200 to 1500 mg calcium citrate. No more than 600 mg at a time.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!