What are Your Favorite Non-"Meat" High Protein Foods and Recipies

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 4/16/15 12:56 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I am 6 Weeks out. I lean toward being a lacto-ovo vegetarian but do have some poultry or fish a couple times a week (however, it's not super appealing to me.) I am also supposed to be moving away from "slider foods"

I am doing a pretty good job getting in my protein, but I feel like I am living off of Premier Protein, canned beans, plain Greek yogurt, low fat cheese, cottage cheese and PB2. My diet seems pretty heavy on the dairy, but there's no such thing as too much cheese, right??? Just kidding.

I would love it if you would share your favorite go-to protein choices that are "light on the meat" and preferably quick to prepare.  Thanks!

MickeyDee
on 4/16/15 3:38 pm

I like to combine three different kinds of canned beans, ensuring I include garbanzos which are a little higher in protein, and carrots, onions, and celery along with chili or taco seasoning, let it all simmer, and voila--chili!

Do you put fruit in the plain greek yoghurt?  I like that as a treat in the evenings or for breakfast.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/16/15 8:52 pm, edited 4/17/15 4:45 am

There can too much of anything, just be aware of that. Making sure your diet is not mono- diet. Heavy on just one food group. 

Dairy (cheese, yogurt, whey proteins, etc) were my daily food, a few times a day, for years post op RNY. I developed allergies to dairy proteins (even butter) so now i can't have any. it sucks. 

But eggs, fish - plus plus beans can provide variety. .  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AngryViking
on 4/16/15 10:26 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

My go-to for a quick meatless meal is a Morningstar Farms spicy black bean burger topped with a slice of cheddar and an over easy egg.  Put a little salsa on the side and I'm a happy girl.  It's around 250 cals and 20 gms protein depending on the cheese/egg size.

White Dove
on 4/16/15 11:01 pm - Warren, OH

Muffin in a Minute with 1/3 cup flaxseed and one egg, then whatever you want to make it good.  These got me through the weight loss phase without missing breads or other thing made with flour and sugar.  You get about 20 grams of protein, low carb and high fiber.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/15 12:55 am, edited 4/17/15 12:55 am - Canada

Do you have a recipe for your muffin in a minute? Or is the flaxseed and egg it? Thanks Chris

JB1114
on 4/17/15 5:48 am - Grain Valley, MO

There's a bunch of Muffin in a Minute recipes.  I believe Eggface has several.  Google MIAM.  There's sweet ones as well as savory.  I don't miss bread at all.  Well, except for fresh baked. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

EP1958
on 4/16/15 11:55 pm

Try Quorn meat substitute. It tastes wonderful and it is mostly vegetarian.

Maria27
on 4/17/15 1:34 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Eggface has a great recipe for quinoa burgers with a greek yogurt dipping sauce. They are amazing! They reheat really well too.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/01/final ly-another-quinoa-recipe-i-love.html

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Eggface
on 4/17/15 11:54 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Yay! So glad you enjoyed them :)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com