Gastric bypass

Angie76
on 4/13/15 3:43 am

I am almost to 8 weeks after having gastric bypass I can not stay dehydrated. I have been in hospital about 3 times I had thrash for almost 2 months want go away. I can't drink water I have tried server things still stay sick. I try throwing up but can't I stay nauseous all the time. I need help I want to get better I have lost almost 40 pounds but is it worth it. I have all I can take I can't return to work been to sick. Please help someone. 

Kathy S.
on 4/13/15 4:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Angie76,

Have you seen your surgeon?  To not be able to keep water down implies there is something seriously wrong.  Call ASAP!  Post this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) also to reach out to those that have had the same surgery type you did.  Call your surgeon!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Angie76
on 4/13/15 4:49 am

I have seen him several times I had a ct scan everything is ok. 

Chilipepper
on 4/13/15 4:17 am, edited 4/13/15 4:17 am
On April 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Pacific Time, Angie76 wrote:

I am almost to 8 weeks after having gastric bypass I can not stay dehydrated. I have been in hospital about 3 times I had thrash for almost 2 months want go away. I can't drink water I have tried server things still stay sick. I try throwing up but can't I stay nauseous all the time. I need help I want to get better I have lost almost 40 pounds but is it worth it. I have all I can take I can't return to work been to sick. Please help someone. 

I am sorry you are having a rough time. It will get better I promise. It's hard to eat or drink anything with thrush.  You Dr can phone you a swish and swallow and it will clear it up in a few days. That won't go away on its own. The Dr can also give you a prescription for nausea. It's not unheard of to still have episodes 2 months out. Are you on a PPI like Prevacid? Call you surgeon or even your primary today and tell them you need something for Thrush and nausea. Don't wait. You will start to feel better after you get that under control. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Angie76
on 4/13/15 4:55 am

My doctor has gave me swish and swallow and I had 7 days of pills and had throat lodges with the trash I do brush my teeth and do everything above I take medicine for acid reflux I take something for nauseous I go back see my doctor next week I do everything doctor tells me but doesn't work. 

Kathyjs
on 4/13/15 12:30 pm

Room temp skim milk is what worked for me. Hope you feel better

rocky513
on 4/13/15 5:31 am - WI

It doesn't have to be water.  I could not drink plain water for a LONG time.  Try fluids at different temperatures.  Sometimes cold drinks upset your stomach.   I drank a lot of peppermint or ginger tea.  It helped my nausea.  Crystal light or MIO water enhancers are also a good choice.  Being dehydrated actually can cause you to feel nausea.  You have to find a way to get those fluids in.  Set a timer and take sips every 15 minutes throughout the day.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/13/15 5:57 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Sugar free popcicles might work or  luke warm herbal tea, flavoured water, or even ice chips. I am seriously nauseous when I get dehydrated.  I also find that  even at 20 months out I need to drink small amounts of liquid all day long.  That it isn't the total amount of water in a day that matters, it matters that I drink it spread out over the day and evening.  

Once the thrush clears up you should feel better.  Call your PCP and be a squeaky wheel.  They need to help you find a solution.  CTscan"s don't always show everything.  Have you had an endoscope done?  Ulcers? Gallbladder? 

Hope you feel better soon!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Chilipepper
on 4/13/15 6:47 am

Something is feeding the Thrush.  Are you on an antibiotic! Anything with yeast? Have you checked your urine. If you aren't in Ketosis then there is possibly some sugar in your diet somewhere 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Doingrightin2015
on 4/13/15 10:20 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Did you get new toothbrush! If you are using your old one, you are keeping the thrush feed.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170