HAIR LOSS HELP!

nel1958
on 4/13/15 10:15 pm
with

It's been 5 months post op. I have noticed that I have been losing a lot of hair on a daily basis.  What the heck is going on and what can I do to prevent this from happening?  HELP!!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/13/15 11:17 pm - UK

I am surprised you are surprised! It is common and widely discussed in literature and online. It is usually a condition called telogen effluvium - Google it.  Hair follicles are damaged eirher by the anaesthetic or by rapid weight loss. It can be because of nutritional deficits but at five months out, it is almost certainly the telogen effluvium. 

The hair follicles are damaged, hair loss occurs, new hair grows. By the time you notice the loss, grown will almost certainly already have started. No-one goes bald! Some lose nothing, some lose quite a lot. But if that is the cause, the damage has happened; it is in the past; the hair will regrow. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tracy D.
on 4/14/15 3:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I also am surprised that you didn't know about this pervasive side effect of any major surgery - especially combined with weight loss.  It's probably the #1 question that people have on these forums as pre-ops (just do a search on here for "hair loss" and you will get a jillion hits).  

For me personally, month 5 was the WORST!  I was losing hair the whole time but months 5-8 were really, really bad.  Some people get telogen effluvium worse than others...I was one of them.  

I tried every supplement, herb and potion known to man.  The only thing that eventually helped me was a prescription called Spironolactone (you can google it).  Keep in mind that I had fine, thinning hair before surgery so I've always had some hair issues, which is why I was a candidate for this med.  

At almost 2 years out my hair is back to where it was before and may even look a little better.  But it was a long, hard road for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 4/18/15 1:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Look up Telogen Effluvium to understand what is happening to your body.  It comes a few months post op, lasts a few months and stops.  No amount of protein or supplements can prevent or stop it.  I recommend a cute layered haircut to blend in a lot of new hair about to emerge.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes