Is it reasonable to track what you eat for the rest of your life?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/8/15 8:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Once you change the settings on MFP to accurately reflect what you want to track, it's a piece of cake  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Wyldrose
on 4/11/15 7:01 am - Petaluma, CA

I prefer to track everything. It makes me feel more in control and I need that. So far it has really made a difference in my weight loss. When I get of track and don't log my calories, I hit a standstill and the second I start tracking again, I was able to break out of it and start losing again. Only 16 to go to reach my goal!

ludescherl
on 4/13/15 11:18 pm

I had Lap Band surgery April 16, 2007. I did not count calories for the first 5 years. When I gained 5-10 pounds I went back to using my Weigh****chers. I lost those pounds and kept them off for a few more years. This past winter I gained 5 pounds and went back to WW. I keep track of the points I eat so I stay within my range. I think you should go without tracking BUT, if you gain some you should trac****il you get it back in check.

Good luck to you!

MyLady Heidi
on 4/15/15 2:34 am

If it works use it, why not, most people I know on diets use those tools also and thats how they keep track of everything.  It is a personal choice.  I never used one, I chose to memorize the calories in everything I eat and keep track in my head.  Yeah that sounds harder but to me having to track into a tool seems more like a punishment, which is very odd coming from a systems analyst who spends nearly every waking moment on some type of technological device.  I just don't like the idea of having to use anything to keep tabs on myself, thats my job and my way of being successful.  You do what works and who cares who says they don't agree.  If it works do it.

edgehanger
on 5/1/15 2:38 am - TX

I had my WLS for my RNY 7 years ago. I only track my eating if I notice a significant gain. When I had foot surgery and did not move for 3 months I gained 20 lbs. and started tracking and lost it and was moving again. I haven't tracked it in over 4 years now. I eat to live and no longer live to eat. I plan sensible meals and focus on my health. You have to do what works for you but I did find as good habits replaced bad ones tracking was not necessary.