Is it reasonable to track what you eat for the rest of your life?

Maria27
on 4/7/15 7:24 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

One thing that helped me stop trying to max out my calories each day was focusing on my calorie average for the entire week instead of each day. If you go over your calorie goal one day, you need to make it up, so if you have leftover calories at the end of the day, remember that you might need them later in the week.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 7:44 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, that's a good idea! I used to use a program called Diet Power that did have a running "calorie bank," but it was very retro and not web-based at all, not very user-friendly in the smartphone era. But I could easily keep a note in Evernote with a running tally. And even better, it would be something else I'd have to change at the end of the day if I go back for another snack, so another motivation to just be done when I'm done.

Hislady
on 4/7/15 11:20 am, edited 4/7/15 11:20 am - Vancouver, WA

You need to learn a hobby so that once you are done with eating your evening meal you can go do the hobby. I knit and crochet or do other needlework so my hands are busy and most of the time I forget about food. If you are actually hungery then have a protein snack of some kind. A homemade cheese cracker or meat and cheese roll will truly fill you up, be adding to your protein and is light enough so it won't sit like a lump in your stomach all night. Having something to do gives enough of a break to your tummy and brain so you can ask your self am I really hungry or just looking for something to eat (there is a difference).

If you end up with extra calories left over for the day well then that's just bonus points. Maybe use them going out for a nice dinner over the weekend or put a penny a point in a jar and when you get a bunch of left over points (pennies) use them to buy smaller clothes with. There are lots of ways to fill your time puzzle books, games, reading, there are beautiful paint by number canvases you can paint, the numbers of crafts to distract you is staggering. Just put your mind to it and enjoy!

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 11:25 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Crafts are actually a big part of my "hobby distraction" plan! I started cross-stitching again and hope to get back into the jewelry making I did in college (although I need to build a workbench and solder station first). I'm also reading again for fun for the first time since high school. I love the idea about using leftover calories as "points" to use to treat myself!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/15 10:46 am - OH

Well, I have never heard of anyone who was honestly and consistently tracking their food intake regain their weight (unless medication was involved).  That says A LOT.

On the other hand, for some people (like me) tracking food forever is absolutely NOT realistic.  I would feel like I was on a diet and that would bring with it a lot of the negative psychological aspects of dieting (which I, like everyone else, always failed at).  I do track my food a couple of times a year just to be sure I am still on track, and I have recently started tracking again because I had some regain while recuperating from my second knee replacment (and it is being very stubborn about coming off).

There is really no way to know predict with any certainty whether you can be successful without tarcking food for the rest of your life.  You will have to figure out what works for you.  I Think the most important thing is that you need to be willing to track your food intake for the rest of your life if that is what it takes to achieve and maintain your weight loss.

One question in your post really struck me, though: "Or will everything change so much after surgery that it won't really even matter?"  Absolutely not!  You absolutely will have to have some way to control your portions even after surgery.  For some people that means measuring portions forever (with or without actually tracking everythign they eat); for other people that means developing other ways to be sure that they aren't eating too much.  For many of us, it means eating only until you know you have had enough protein and no longer feel hungry.  There can be a BIG difference in the amount of food that it takes to no longer feel hungry (or empty for those who don't get physcially hungry) and in the amount of food that it takes to make you feel full!  

If you go into surgery expecting to eat until you feel full at every meal, I can almost guarantee that you will end up struggling to maintain your loss.  Almost every vet (5+ years out) that I know will tell you that they physcially CAN eat more than they DO (and that if they DID eat until they were completely full at each meal, they would be regaining). I often CAN physically eat about twice what I CHOOSE to eat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 11:32 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thank you Lora, I always like reading your comments, and I especially love the quote in your signature! I think you're right; I'll have to do what sees right in the long run, logging everything if that's what it takes. It takes me less than a minute at the beginning of every meal, so it's not a huge investment by any means, and I absolutely hear what you're saying about not eating until you feel full. I guess I shouldn't worry about relying on something external to tell me when to stop eating, because relying on myself is what got me over 300 lbs in the first place. Maybe after a few years I will have reset myself; maybe not, but I'll just have to see.

Jen H.
on 4/7/15 11:51 am, edited 4/7/15 11:51 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

First off - disclaimer - I am only 7 months out and you have gotten a lot of great advice from some much further out.  My two cents here - you will be very surprised how differently you feel about food. I heard it, I read it, and I didn't believe it, but it's true.  Afterward, your tracking will NOT be about limiting...it will be about making sure you get enough protein.  I track every day in MFP and every day it tells me the same thing when I save the day's entries - "You should be eating more calories".  I don't care.  I am focused on two things - did I hit my protein minimum and my water minimum.

There are times when a tiny amount of food is enough. My nose runs, I get the hiccups, I am done. :-)  It was impossible for me to imagine this before surgery.  I worried about feeling deprived like when dieting.  I don't.  My relationship with food has changed. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

That's great to hear, thanks so much! I hope I have the same kind of outcome.

NYMom222
on 4/7/15 2:17 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I used MFP occasionally, and as hard as I tried to ignore the calories and just focus on what I was supposed to be focusing on, I couldn't. My surgeon does not recommend counting calories, Only protein and liquids. My accountability is weighing myself everyday. Some people will say "Throw your scale away" or "don't do it". Not me, it makes me think about my progress and what I am doing daily.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Fleur
on 4/8/15 2:39 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with
On April 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Pacific Time, 4FurKids wrote:

When I was very early in my 6-month pre-op process last October, the dietitian I saw recommended I NOT use MyFitnessPal because I'd had an "on-again, off-again" relationship with it for a year before I got serious about my health, and because she thought I was focusing too much on the number of calories and not on the quality of the nutrition I was putting in my body. I got what she meant -- I needed to look at food as "additive" and nutritious, not "subtractive" by finding how much volume of food I could eat for the fewest calories. But I freaked out because calorie counting is the only thing that has ever helped me lose weight even temporarily in the past, so she told me to go ahead and keep using it, but to try not to put too much emphasis on the calories.

A few months later, I had a regular call with the nurse case manager I was assigned by my insurance, and I told her about my plans for surgery. I told her I'd been using MFP but knew I couldn't track everything I ate for the rest of my life, and she had the complete opposite reaction from the dietitian, saying, "why not? It seems to be working."

Fast forward to today, and I'm down 70 lbs by being more active, seeing a therapist to help conquer my food addiction, and making better food choices in general. I still log everything in MFP to make sure I remain cognizant of what I'm eating, but I'm trying to look more at the nutrients I'm getting instead of just beating myself up every time I go over my calorie budget by a couple hundred calories. But sometimes, I feel like I had a really filling dinner and SHOULD stop eating for the night, but I see a few hundred calories left and have an Outshine bar or cheese as a snack because I have the calories left. I'm planning surgery next month, and I'm torn. Is logging doing me more good or harm? And is it reasonable to plan on tracking everything I ever put in my mouth for the rest of my life? I don't want to give up a tool that feels like it's been so helpful, but I don't want to become forever dependent on something external to tell me when to stop eating. Or will everything change so much after surgery that it won't really even matter?

Reading all of the comments has been interesting! I am just a month out and my therapist doesn't seem to advocate for or against tracking but she did express concern over MFP (which I use) because the primary tracking is under calories. Since that is not what we should be following as a primary guide, she wants me to try to not look at that, which is easier said than done.