(RNY) 2 Years Post-Op, Weird Food Thing

tenderoni
on 4/6/15 10:06 am

All,

Lurker.. who just signed up for an account and this is my first post. Confused though and looking for feedback. Weird variations in what I can and can't eat. Sometimes I am absolutely certain that I have extended my pouch and I can eat whatever and however much I want. Easter Sunday I ate a little too much food and felt fine. Granted I had a few glasses of wine and didn't eat a ton but still surprising. Then today out of nowhere, I have a little bit of beef teriyaki stir fry for lunch at the cafeteria and I'm in the bathroom for a half an hour praying i don't throw it all up i'm so sick. Is it just too may liquids close to meals? General slight failings in the day to day regime that are allowing me to eat more or just a frea****urrence with something got stuck? Something else? wondering if anyone else has had similar jeckyll and mr hyde.. my pouch is broken and i can eat whatever I want  to I can only eat a cup or so and i feel like truck parked itself on my chest.

Strange and I'd like to see if anyone else has/is experiencing anything like this. Also feedback on the output above comments on having a dysfunctional pouch..

Thanks Again

MickeyDee
on 4/6/15 2:16 pm

Just keep in mind:  Pouchy's Rule is Erratic.  Today it's OK to eat anything.  Tomorrow (or even later today) is entirely different.

seattledeb
on 4/6/15 4:32 pm

Wine makes me overeat.

I can eat carbs all day.

3oz of white fish can keep me full for hours. 

If you feel there is something physcially wrong though check with your doctor. I had an upper GI just to make sure my pouch was still small. It still is and still works. 

Deb (I'm missing the spell check button)

tenderoni
on 4/6/15 10:37 pm

Thanks for the update on this. I'm curious because i'm in that stage of the surgery process where I'm the same way. I can eat carbs continuously except for Sugars, which make me feel like crap (as expected). What is fascinating to me and something that caught me off guard in the whole process is the wide swinging variations in food, and its effects. To your point, Food X is eat a little bit and your sick and Food Y is go ahead and eat this for days. And sometimes its the foods that you don't think. I think subconsciously it has you wondering if your pouch is broken quite often because of the inconsistency of it all.

My thought is that it is a few factors that you never really know about. Liquid in the pouch, liquid in the food (like tuna fish for instance), carb content or breakdown ease (like chips).. Sugar content. Protein and the lean nature of it (Beef gives me fits). Interested to here peoples thoughts on this as well.

Thanks again all for the responses. 

Ladytazz
on 4/7/15 4:01 am

I have "big" pouch days, and "little" pouch days, even now.  Somedays I feel like I could eat a whole 1 lbs steak (I can't) and other days I get full after a few bites.

As Deb said, carbs are usually easy to eat, especially things like chips and such, you can sit and eat a whole bag before you know it.  Dense protein like meats tend to fill us up more.

That is why I try to make it a point to eat the thing that fills me up the most first, usually meat, and then I am usually satisfied with a few bites of things that don't typically fill me up.

And to this day I don't drink for at least 30 minutes after I eat.  I set the timer on my phone after every meal or snack.  I don't know if it makes a difference physically but it sure does help me mentally.  It puts and end to my meal for one thing.  After I hit the start button on the timer I don't eat another bite or I have to start over again.

And I really like to drink so a lot of times when I think about putting something in my mouth I ask myself if I would rather have that or the ability to continue drinking.  Usually I would rather drink.

I also have a personal rule that I don't eat until I have drank at least 32 oz of fluids.  It helps me keep my fluid intake up and my food intake down.

I might just be playing mind games with myself but it has worked so far for nearly 5 years so I'm not going to mess with it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

tenderoni
on 4/7/15 4:04 am

Thats great feedback. Thank you so much for posting.