Surgery 2006 and gained the weight back

LADELL BROWN
on 4/5/15 8:53 pm - Yuba City, CA

Now i realize that i did not take surgery serious until i fot back to 400 pbs and now i am so miserable. How can i get this weight back off???? I need help my problem is eating and drinking at the same time and drinking sweets. I been on water and drinking before meals but i need to know if i can save.myself and how

Bette B.
on 4/5/15 11:46 pm

I don't have an RNY, but you and I have the same problem: food! And for many, many of us, food will always be our problem. It was, is and always be my "go-to guy" for stress, depression and every other emotion that challenges me.

I have really been struggling with food lately after a couple of issues and, now, an almost-empty band. There is nothing keeping me from eating except my own willpower, which is nil. I'm so pissed at myself that, all these years after WLS, I still can control myself.

I feel much better, though, when I talk to other people who have had WLS, as a source of free and readily available therapy. I also have been trying to get back to the basics of eating after WLS, which I was very good at 11 years ago and not so good at now. 

My biggest suggestion to you is to talk to your surgeon, to make sure that everything is okay there. My second is to get into a support group: either one related to WLS or something like OA. My schedule is odd now, so it's very difficult to get to support group meetings but I know that I really do need to.

I know this is a rather scatter-brained post. but my coffee hasn't hit my system yet. I hope that you know where I'm going. And I hope you know that you're not alone in this. I think there are a huge number us who are struggling but hiding in the shadows.

Best of luck - to all of us!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/6/15 7:47 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Many people fall off the wagon every now & then & Kudos to you for wanting to get back on the wagon again. I'm only about a year out but there is a back on track forum here filled with people trying to fight regain & they might be able to give you some pointers.

For me the eating & drinking at the same time was one of the hardest habits to break. Maybe cuz it felt so normal to just have a meal & wa**** down with a drink. When you eat don't have any liquids near you & set an alarm on your phone to go off in a half hour after you eat. You can try for 15 minutes at first & work your way up, this might help, keep yourself distracted till that alarm goes off. Maybe it'll be a habit after awhile. Good Luck, it's never too late, you can do this!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

RNY on 12/22/14

I'm a newbie - just 10 weeks post op, and doing well - but I have checked out resources for regain if/when I need them.  My first resource - my surgeons - they know the stats - that 10 years out, 60-80% have kept most of the weight off (ie 20-40% haven't), so expect your surgeon to be ready to help. 

I also saw a book to help that takes you back to post-op and then you do your first week post-op diet for the first day, your second week post-op diet the second day - to try to reset one's thinking. (I haven't tried it but it seemed interesting - maybe someone else has tried it.)  http://www.5daypouchtest.com/index.html

I am trying a Mindful Eating Class.  If eating was a big enough problem to have my use surgery, that it was a big enough problem to do more than surgery.  It stresses be aware of your eating and eating patterns.  It is helpful for me.

Sharon

Hislady
on 4/6/15 9:11 am - Vancouver, WA

Many need some type of therapy to help retrain their thought process to get back on track. I would suggest finding a therapist that works with addiction issues and see if they can't help you learn other ways of coping with stress, boredom or what ever is triggering your eating again. Some times it just takes someone to talk to and listen to get things back on track again. Best of luck!

NYMom222
on 4/6/15 4:56 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Try to get off the carbs again to help with the cravings. Protein first then veggies. Forget the fruit and any starches for now. Get to a support group if you can. Make it your job - just like you said you didn't take it serious before... but it is never too late. 60-80g of protein and 64oz water minimum. You can do it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Ladytazz
on 4/7/15 4:17 am

I regained 100 lbs after my first WLS.  My biggest culprit was regular soda.  Then, when I had the brilliant idea that the way to cut out soda was to replace it with orange juice.  Well, half a gallon of orange juice a day wasn't any better.

I agree with Bette.  See your doctor and see how things look.  If things look good then you can always start over again, with what worked in the beginning.

Start with small steps.  Cut out all liquids that have calories and set a timer for 30 minutes after you eat before you drink again.

That isn't much but it may be enough to help to get started again.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kathy S.
on 4/7/15 5:13 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...  Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group link in my signature area.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies and fruits.  

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker

Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat, fiber, calories, and sugar. Important vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan)

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lift weights. When I stopped, the weight came on.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Felicia O'Connor
on 4/7/15 1:06 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

i too have gained 30 lbs. I am 6 years out. I dont drink soda at all. I eat protein first and veggies last. I am back on protein shakes. Just started today~ i had 2. then chicken and small salad wedge, which i didnt finish. For a snack i had a small apple and nuts. Drank my water. and 4 slices of salami~ i hope i am getting back on track, cause it scares me that i gained that weight. I went thru a lot on that surgery and i need to focus and remember what i had to go threw.

Good luck and if anyone has pointers. i would love to hear from you!