Protein without shakes?

Jen H.
on 4/3/15 6:54 am, edited 4/3/15 6:54 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

I get most of my protein from food, but there are days when I am short.  It happens.  I'll grab a protein shake at that point. I tried a lot and am stuck on Jay Robb powders. They taste good even to my sons who make shakes for themselves just because!  The other thing that helps me jumpstart my protein for the day is Click Espresso.  I LOVE that stuff! 15g of protein in a mugful.  The caramel is fantastic and the mocha decaf is excellent if you are off caffeine.  And of course, Greek yogurt.  Fantastic source of protein! Good luck and hang in there!

Valerie G.
on 4/5/15 10:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, it IS possible to eat all of your required protein.  Learn the highest pack of protein punch and stick to those foods. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Maronita
on 4/7/15 4:28 am

The following vegetables are good sources of protein: peas, Quinoa (technically a seed), Nuts and Nut Butter, varieties of beans—black, white, pinto, heirloom, etc, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), Tempeh & Tofu, Edamame, leafy greens, hemp seeds (not marijuana), sesame, sunflower, and poppy seeds, seitan, non-dairy milk (soy, and almond milk).  I'd also suggest Greek Yogurt.  They have low-calorie (100 calories) Greek Yogurt and I LOVE Almond Milk [unsweetened].  Almond  Milk is free of cholesterol and saturated fat, naturally lactose free,  Protein has the same amount of calories is skim milk.  Good source of vitamin A & D.

Maronita

sassygirl1410
on 4/7/15 4:53 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I never used protein shakes--they did not agree with me at all. I am 26 months post surgery down to a few pounds of goal and happy here.  I ate tons of greek yogurt--chobani 100 or plain with some low sugar jam mixed in or fruit.  I ate loads of chopped beef-turkey in all sorts of recipes for meatloaf, meatballs, chili, etc.  and I always put some extra cheese on top.  I have eaten between 1000-1400 calories and get 90-100 grams of protein a day.