(deactivated member)
on 4/5/15 3:56 am

I just had surgery on Friday,  April 4th. I was discharged from the hospital by Saturday. My questions.. is the pain from surgery suppose to be so excruciating? I didn't feel bad at the hospital, because of the meds I was given. How long does the pain last?

Kate -True Brit
on 4/5/15 5:58 am - UK

Rather depends on which surgery you have had. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 10:51 am

I had the  gastric bypass

Hislady
on 4/5/15 9:12 am - Vancouver, WA

Didn't they send you home with pain meds? Some of it may be from gas so walking will help that. What kind of pain and where, like Kate said we need more info to be able to help. When in doubt call your surgeon there should always be someone on call.

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 10:54 am
  • I had the gastric bypass and also my gallbladder was removed. The pain was excruciating, but when the on call dr. he said I could up my dose of pain meds. This made the difference! I have been walking quite a bit. My pain has decreased, I need to take it day by day.
PrayMore
on 4/5/15 9:49 am

With my VSG, I had very little pain when the nausea passed. I just took some tylenol. The sore spots on the incisions wasn't too bad after a few days. My biggest pain was between my shoulder blades when I stood too long or did too much. I asked my surgeon if it was 'trapped gas,' but he said it isn't. It is displaced pain from the stomach removal. Stomach has no pain sensors, but it displaces in the shoulders. Again, it wasn't so bad - just took tylenol here and there. Of course all people handle pain differently - I did go home with a pain med prescription, but didn't need it. You should be able to go up and down the stairs, raise hands over your head, wash hair. JUST DO NOT lift any amount of weight that causes you to bear down - nothing! No case of water or laundry detergent - for 6 weeks. If you do hurt yourself, it could require re-hospitailzation!

Best wishes to you!!! Welcome to the Loser's Bench!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 10:57 am

I was thinking the pain was never going to go away! I'm taking it one day at a time,  I feel totally different today than i did yesterday.

Aj330
on 4/5/15 11:43 am

I had gastric bypass on 3/30 I have my first post op appointment tomorrow. I've been in some  considerable pain but it's dissapating now and what is left - I think it's mostly from not being able to (sorry gross) have a bm. I hope you do well. I'm excited and nervous right now. Get up and move around as much as you can- it helps a lot!

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 10:59 am

Pain is getting better. I'm dealing with it. I had the option to stay another night before discharge but chose to leave because they said I was ready and I live 2 hours from the hospital.