Happy Passover and Happy Easter to those who observe and celebrate.

kathkeb
on 4/4/15 3:58 am

As such a big proponent of the 12- step lifestyle, I am surprised to read this.

8 days of such denial would lead me to probably 8 weeks of 'trying' to get back on track.

We all know that (as Yoda said) "there is no try, there is do or do not".

You might reconsider your approach as you celebrate such a sacred time of year and make it more about the holiday and less about the food.

Kath

Y D.
on 4/4/15 5:51 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

We had our Seder last night, and I did pretty well except for indulging in some coconut macaroons :/ oh wait, and a little potato kugel lol!!

i intend to stick to normal plan for the rest of the holiday, meat and veg as usual; no chametz doesn't make much of a difference to me how I eat these days.

chag sameach!

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/4/15 7:02 am

I don't eat meat and all the protein I eat is off limits this week. Lots of salads this week for me. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Y D.
on 4/4/15 7:13 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Do you ever eat fish?

as a side note, against my better judgement I had a bite of gefilte fish last night- yikes! I know I don't like it, why did I bite it?? Lol. 

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/4/15 7:51 am

Yes, I do. And eggs, so it's not a total loss. Gefilte fish is either a love it or hate it food. I've always loved it.  Usually I eat a lot of beans, legumes, and soy.  Thank goodness quinoa is kosher for Passover. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Y D.
on 4/5/15 3:27 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Have you ever had shakshuka? I have some eggs I need to use, and now I'm craving it!

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/5/15 6:11 am, edited 4/5/15 9:56 am

Oh yes. I make a mild version. Most are too spicy for me. Enjoy!  Sure beats matzo brei for protein and is savory instead of sweet.    I completely forgot to say Happy Passover to you in all my posts.  So sorry.  I hope you have a great holiday. 

Y D.
on 4/5/15 12:00 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

You too! :D

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/5/15 9:46 am, edited 4/5/15 9:48 am

Now that both Seders are over and I've had time to look at leftovers and plan meals for the rest of the holiday, it might not be as bad as I was expecting.  Not much protein for me outside of eggs and gefilte fish, which is fine for a week, but there's a ton of vegetables on the menu. I'm making an egg bake loaded with veggies for breakfast all this week. 

For those who don't know, Passover is not limited to a single meal, it is a holiday of 8 days (outside of Israel) where many restrictions are placed on what foods are permitted and what are not for the entire time.  Most you you know that I don't eat meat and most of my sources of protein are off limits this week.   Most Passover meals are matzo and potato centered at least in my family they are.  I usually only keep kosher during the holidays. We enjoy matzo meals during Passover and then don't touch it again until the next year when the holiday rolls around again, other than matzo ball soup which is served all year round in our house.  I'm sure everyone has a particular dish they associate with holidays and they look forward to eating it. 

So my question to you all is how do you take the focus off food during the holiday season and in general?  It's a main joy in my life.  I obviously love to eat, and cooking is my hobby. 

Y D.
on 4/5/15 12:09 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

It's been hard for me in that regard. Two of my favorite holidays came shortly after my surgery (Tu Bishvat and Purim), and I was sad I couldn't do my usual... I do a beautiful sprawling cake, fruit and wine Seder for Tu Bishvat, and I love to throw a big Purim party with costumes, homemade hamentashen and lots of alcohol! 

So instead of doing more home based festivities, where all the temptations are at home (plus leftovers), I've gotten into the habit of celebrating more communally at synagogue. I still make treats, but I bring them in, maybe have one, and then leave them there and go home. Also, I've made an effort to try to find deeper meaning in the holidays outside of my usual more "surface" celebrations. It's a challenge for sure, but it's becoming my new normal.