Staying Hydrated

christinerocks
on 4/1/15 11:29 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I'm having my surgery on Monday - learning a ton from these posts. thanks for the reminder to stock up on the SF Popsicles! 

tawbattle
on 3/31/15 10:46 pm
RNY on 08/26/14

I'm 7 months post-op and fluid intake presents a bit of a challenge for me also.  I find that I get nausea when I drink fluid too quickly so that may be the cause.  My nutritionist recommended 8-10 ounces per hour, and I haven't been getting nauseated when I follow that guideline.  Also, I find that extremely cold water tends to give me nausea, but that may not be the case for you. I definitely recommend the 8-10 ounces per hour guideline.

Patm
on 3/31/15 11:09 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Every municipality uses different chemicals to filter their water. I find if I put the water through a brita it helps. There are some bottled waters that just plain make me sick from what they use to purify their water. I have heard other people boil their water then drink it cooled. You have a lot of suggestions here. I hope one helps

Luvmygs
on 4/1/15 1:06 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Be sure you're not drinking too fast and too much. Should be little sips at a time. My surgeon also gave me some nausea meds which helped me alot in the beginning. Hope you start feeling better. Its so important to get all your water in.

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 4/1/15 2:38 am
VSG on 03/16/15

I wanted to ask if they have you on anything like lansopranazole? I am taking this and one day I forgot and felt nausea from water. I have been doing the 8 Oz across 45-60 minutes to make sure I get it in. If you don't get your fluid it can also hinder your bowel movements. FYI no fun

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/1/15 6:05 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

You might consider taking an ant-acid (if allowed by your doc of course) but it may be that you have too much stomach acid and that is causing the nausea.

If not - then I agree, varying the temp of your fluids makes a huge difference and I can only drink one or two glasses of plain water a day.  The rest I drink w/ sugar free flavoring.  Good luck - it does get easier with time!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

NYMom222
on 4/1/15 12:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

When I was struggling early on post-op, I used to leave a glass on my nightstand and fill it in the morning and start drinking while I was getting ready and showering and stuff. I also add enough liquid to my protein shake to make it 16oz. That way I had had 24-32oz of liquid by the time breakfast was over. A cup of tea or coffee later in the morning. I find drinking out of a cup with a straw easier for me, so I have a 24oz one that I sip all afternoon. I am a gulper by nature- which will make me nauseous- so the straw helps me to be slow and steady. You just have to do it. Keep at it....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

luxurycouture
on 4/3/15 2:03 pm

Thank you, everyone, for taking interest in my post and weighing in on this topic!

I had an appointment at my surgeon's office and spoke with the PA about my concerns. I asked for a referral for outpatient IV services and she gave me one. I had to go to the infusion unit at the hospital and was among cancer patients receiving chemo, which made me a emotional. 

Nevertheless, I was on the IVA for a couple hours. I must have been really dehydrated because I didn't even have to tinkle for hours afterward. 

When i I stepped on the scale today, it indicated that I actually gained a pound- I hope this is just a water weight thing. I have been abiding by the food diet, so I know it isn't a result  poor food choices. 

Anyway, I am going to do more tea, as many of you had suggested and just keep sipping.

thanks for all the love! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon