Staying Hydrated

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/1/15 7:11 am

True, I've not had this particular surgery but I've been severely dehydrated to the point I had to have IV fluids every day for two weeks because I couldn't drink enough because I was  constantly nauseous. This was the game I used to up my intake. When I returned to work I bought a 32 ounce jug with a screw on lid and took it with me, filling twice each day. I also suggested altering the water into tea, coffee, crystal light, just as others suggested. I may not know this surgery but I don't offer advice I haven't tried and know.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Sarah M.
on 4/1/15 9:17 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Why were you constantly nauseous?  The flu?  A virus of some sort?  

This really, truly, is different from the kind of nausea I experienced prior to surgery.  Making a game of it doesn't solve the challenge for me because the QUANTITY is just a small part of the issue (e.g., changing taste buds, staggering eating & drinking with a given number of minutes per day/mandates on what to eat & when, requirements with vitamins, etc...)

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/1/15 11:52 am

I'm a two time cancer survivor.  After my stem cell transplant in 2003 I got severely dehydrated after I was discharged to home because I was so nauseous I couldn't keep anything down. I was a master puker. Home health care came for two weeks, hooked me up to an IV pump at home until I could keep fluids down. I also had to learn how to drink enough liquids through the nausea.  It took me about two weeks to work up to getting in enough liquids that I could get off the home health care routine. 

Chemo also changed my taste buds.  It was a deadly struggle.  I was happy if I could eat and keep food down, but hydration was more important than the food at that point.  I had lived on TPN through an IV for over 45 days so was used to not eating but would still get extremely hungry.  It took a LONG time before my taste buds came back to where anything at all tasted good.  

I had to learn how to eat again because my body would reject anything I put into it.  Started with clear liquids, moved onto thicker soups and blended foods, soft foods like oatmeal and cream of wheat.  You know, sort of like what a WLS patient goes through but not for such an extended period.  If I never eat Jello again it would be a day too soon.   

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Sarah M.
on 4/1/15 3:06 pm - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I've never had chemo - knock wood - so I can't compare.  I don't know what that's like.  I do know that I've tried the water pitcher/32oz drinking bottle trick (which worked well for me during weigh****chers) since surgery.  Between the nausea and the other compounding factors (small stomach size, the rules to not drink 15-20 min before food and 1 hour after, all the vitamins/medications...plus working full time in a job that requires you to actively listening/participating and "in charge" - vs. running for the bathroom just in case) for the first few months it's been really, really difficult.  The warmer liquids sometimes work, an electrolyte solution called drip drop helps, and popsicles work.  But I'm trying not to consume all my liquid in the form of popsicles because 15 calories per pop can add up!  I agree on the Jello.  No more!

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/1/15 3:14 pm

God forbid you ever have to have chemo!  It's the worst diet ever.  LOL.  I really hope you are able to strike a balance and it becomes easier for you.  Best wishes.

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/1/15 8:26 am
south2north
on 3/31/15 9:00 pm
DS on 11/19/14

Sip on warm green tea, peppermint tea, ginger tea.  It soothes your stomach, helps with the nausea and helps you get your fluids in :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/31/15 10:25 pm

Unflavored water is still iffy for me.  Most of the time i can't drink that.  But warm tea, flavored water it's no problem. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/15 10:44 pm - OH

I am like Hala... Too much plain water (no matter what the temperature for me) makes me queasy.  If I add some zero calorie flavoring to it (sometimes just adding some lemon juice to it helps) or drink tea, or even low fat milk, I am fine.

You do NOT want to have to go to the ER for an IV. That should NOT be considered an option except as a last resort.  (If your insurance is like mine, it is very expensive AND it ties up emergency services for people who have true emergencies.

If you "feel fine" and it just gives you "a little nausea", try some of teh sugegstions here and then do as Rocky said and just suck it up and drink.  It does NOT have to be plain water.  Even SF Popsicles count.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/1/15 4:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Popsicles totally saved my life right after surgery when I couldn't stand to drink anything! I think my lips were permanently orange from the popsicles :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!