Staying Hydrated

luxurycouture
on 3/31/15 12:10 pm

I didn't find it difficult to drink plenty of water initially, but now I get a little nausea when I drink.

I'm taking in about 2 bottles of water each day.

I am 6 weeks post op, VSG. Any suggestions? My surgeon mentioned outpatient IV treatment for dehydration right after my surgery. Has anyone gone this route?

I feel fine, but I know I'm not taking in enough liquid. Any suggestions? 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

David F.
on 3/31/15 12:17 pm - Henderson, NV

I understand how you feel. I am dealing with nausea pretty much all the time. before and after eating/drinking just doesn't matter. It is all the time. I haven't been drinking enough water but when I try I still feel nauseated. I haven't heard of the IV treatment for dehydration, all they told me was make sure I drink enough so I don't go back into the hospital.

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

kathkeb
on 3/31/15 12:29 pm

Suggestions ---

vary the temperature of the water (my band was finicky and only wanted room temp water before dinner -- cold after that was fine)

consider warm herb tea (no caffeine) as part of your water intake

try flavoring with citrus or cucumber or mint or a combo -- whatever sounds good to you

try flavoring with crystal light or a similar 'mix-in'

you should be getting 64+ ounces a day --- try for 8 ounces before each meal and between (morning, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner) --- if you had 12 oz each time, you would be reaching your goal.

Good luck -- aim for a bit more each day -- dehydration is awful, leads to headaches at a minimum -- and hospitalization if it gets worse.

Kath

rocky513
on 3/31/15 12:35 pm - WI

It's a vicious cycle.  You don't get enough fluids, making you feel nauseated.  And the nausea makes you not want to drink the fluids that would help you NOT feel nauseated.

This may sound harsh, but suck it up, buttercup.  Getting enough fluids is not optional, it's mandatory!  It's a lot easier and less expensive to get your fluids by mouth rather than through a vein, with a  needle, at the hospital.

You really do have to commit to sipping every 10 or 15 minutes until you get that required mount of fluid in.  Try different temperatures.  I had trouble with cold drinks early out, so my "go to drink" was peppermint tea.  As time went on I could tolerate more variety.  You have to push yourself and find what works for you.  If you keep drinking, the nausea will eventually go away.  Remember 64 ounce is the MINIMUM required amount of fluid.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/31/15 5:07 pm

I'm pre-surgery.

64 ounces = 2 quarts.  When I first started to up my fluid intake I made it a visual game.  Every night before bed I would fill a 2 qt. pitcher with water. The next day I drank all my fluids using the water from that pitcher.  Making broth from bouillon? Take water from the pitcher.  Making a cup of coffee or tea? Take water from the pitcher.  Want a glass of crystal light?  Take water from the pitcher.  You get the idea.  I found that it was really easy to get in the required amount of water that way and it was satisfying to watch the water level go down with each glass of liquid I consumed. 

Remember, if you're still using protein shakes that counts toward your 64 ounces too. 

Best wishes.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/31/15 10:31 pm

I don't think the OP has a problem measuring how much she drinks, or needs to drink.  But that AFTER WLS some of us just have issues with drinking due to effects from WLS surgery. 

It really does not matter how i measure the amount i need to drink.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/15 10:38 pm - OH

That works great for people who are at home all day, but some of us cannot carry a pitcher of work to the office...

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/31/15 10:40 pm - UK

I think the OP is more affected by post-op nausea than an inability to measure! But your idea wouid be helpful for people at home all day!

OP.  Try warm drinks, weak tea, thin soups, sipping slowly and often.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/1/15 3:22 am

At closing on four years post op, here's MY best tip: have something with me at all times, so there is no excuse. Water doesn't work? No caffeine tea comes in tons of flavors and can be made hot or cold. Don't like tea? Crystal Light or Mio works. Cold water cramps your stomach? Try room temp. Room temp makes you want to hurl? Try cool or warm. Keep trying. There is something for everyone.

Pre op is so much different than post op. Most importantly, Semper Gumby.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/1/15 4:59 am, edited 4/1/15 4:59 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Modest Phoenix, I think you're missing the OP's dilemma, probably because you haven't had surgery yet.  It's not a matter of measuring her fluid intake; she's having issues with nausea which creates complications to get enough fluids in.

There are many things you won't understand until you actually undergo surgery. I appreciate your attempts to participate in the discussion, but it's not the crux of her problem.

Now, to the OP, I did not experience nausea, but I drank very small portions and I drank them often.  I could not tolerate anything cold.  Room temperature or warm teas went down the easiest.  You do not want to end up in the hospital with IVs.  That is a short term fix and you need to work on this problem trying several different methods to find what works best for you.  As others have mentioned, not getting enough fluids will lead to dehydration which will make you feel nauseous.  It's a vicious cycle.  So start focusing on small sips, different temps and it will get better.  Hang in there. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220