Digestive issues after surgery

creyes53
on 3/27/15 11:25 am

I had lap-band surgery 12 days ago. I had constipation the first week and today I have cramping and diarrhea. I know this is gross but it is yellow and pasty like a baby. Can I take regular meds such as pepto? I'm still on fluids a few more days.

Any helps would be appreciated.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/27/15 6:56 pm - UK

Because the band does not change our digestive tract, we can take any meds. At this early stage, as you say, liquids meds are better. I don't know American brands, but any OTC liquid  meds would be ok.  If in any doubt whatsoever, phone your doctor. I have never had cramping with diarrhoea except when I had a non-band related stomach bug. 

But the all liquid diet can wreak havoc on our systems! Should sort itself out once you get on to more solid foods. But do take care as you progress. Simply because of the restricted intake, constipation can be a problem.  In the losing stages I needed to take added fibre and a stool softener every single day. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 3/28/15 3:03 am

As Kate said, with the band I have no issues with taking any medication.

The liquid or soft diet you are following can make a messs out of your digestive tract.

If it persists, I would give my doctors office a call, but for today Pepto should be fine.

Kath

David147
on 4/22/15 4:21 pm

For your digestion problems, you need to supply your digestive system with digestive enzymes. Enzymes help in digesting proteins (such as steak and other meat). They also help in balancing our body, including hormones and nutritional requirements of our system. 

Cheap sources of enzymes include raw and uncooked fruits. Mainly apples, papaya, pineapple, guava and grapes (with seeds) are among the best and cheapest sources of enzymes. 

In case you are allergic with fruit latex, you can take enzyme supplements like Bio Enzyme Plus. It also contains those fruits and they were fermented to extract fruit juice together with enzymes. No chemicals were added in the process.