My 600lb Life

zann50
on 3/25/15 11:57 am

This is the first episode I am unable to watch.  Charity is the patient.  I feel overwhelmed.  I am not sure if I will continue to follow this program while I am so new to WLS...it has become very disturbing to me.

I know it is not about me but, somehow it is about ALL of us who suffer with food addiction.  It is too much reality for me at this time.

Zann

VGS- 2015

ChillOutWayne
on 3/25/15 12:34 pm
RNY on 03/02/15

I said today this was one of the first episodes I almost turned off, but it was more of her physical issues that I couldn't handle. Bu****ching her battle food issues like all of us and watching her make the decision to eat a cheeseburger covered with French fries reminds me we all have choices, and we have to allow ourselves to act that way. At this point, at least early in my journey, I find that to be motivating personally. 

trsinhawaii
on 3/25/15 5:19 pm

I have to say that My 600lb life was an inspiration to me when I started delving into the surgery option.  I did watch Charity's episode today and when she ate that cheeseburger with the fries on it, I could not understand how she did that so soon after her surgery!  I am 21 days out from gastric bypass and I am finding it hard to get in all the protein and the water.  I do hope that we get to see some follow-up with these people.  12 months is barely a drop in the bucket.  

zann50
on 3/25/15 10:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I to hope TLC shows a f/u to Charity's journey with WLS and even more the surgical intervention of her lymphedema.   

Zann

VGS- 2015

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/25/15 11:28 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

TLC does do a followup to some of these people, it's a where are they now type show. I think it's called My 600lb life revisited. I actually bought an episode on Amazon. I couldn't resist, I had to see if Penny from last season changed her ways.

I hope Charity does make it, I forget how big the human body can get, then I just have to whip out some of my old photos & remember, yes, we can all get that big. I felt that I was on my way.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Stacy_WLS
on 3/26/15 12:18 am

I think this show really does a disservice to these people.  They drastically need mental help.  They are the picture of addiction gone to the extreme.  We wouldn't make a heroine addict capable of only mainlining a little bit w/o tackling the addiction issue at all.  

I wish this show focused MUCH more on the treatment of addiction than just the weight loss surgery.  Proving you can lose the initial weight to get the surgery is no where near enough to show you can control it.  How many of us have not been able to follow a diet for a set amount of time and dropped a good amount of weight?  

My goodness -- I had surgery, I lost all my weight, and I still know that I am a hopeless addict.  If I don't keep facing that for the rest of my life I'll be back where I was.  

Arg!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/26/15 12:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Yeah, I think this show does play up the shock value of it. I know when I first saw it I was thinking now that's really big, but the same way I thought about her, someone else surely thought the same about me at some point too.

I think only recently they started showing the counseling part of it. Eating the burgers & fries so soon after surgery isn't because of hunger, it's something else., I think she knows it too. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sleevedin2014
on 3/26/15 4:27 am

I don'****ch this show because it exploits the misery of the SMO.  I am thankful that the doctor performs the surgery, but where is the counseling that is so desperately needed for these patients. This show, IMHO, exploits these people. It is no better or worse than The Biggest Loser.  Both fat shame to a disgusting degree.

south2north
on 3/26/15 4:15 am
DS on 11/19/14

When I saw the show, it made me think if someone was the complete opposite and extremely anorexic, the person would be hospitalized (even against their will) and given therapy.  How is it possible for someone to be that overweight, their body so extremely distorted and not be hospitalized and given therapy?  Someone should have intervened a long time ago.

Superchunk77
on 3/26/15 11:19 pm

This. I couldn't agree with you more.