Post-op 2 yrs out or more . . . . any regrets?

sor09
on 3/30/15 8:24 pm

No regrets. Yes it is major and serious. Get the knowledge and facts for you. This is about you and for your life and for life. I am 2yrs+ out and just starting the maintenance stage. It took 2 yrs to loose the extra weight that was killing me. It is not a race, so learn as much as possible before your WLS date.

purpledog
on 3/30/15 8:42 pm - seattle, Wa

Hi, I am 14 years out, having liver disease and starting to gain most of all the weight I loss. I didn't get much follow up at all because the doctor that did it quit. One had to deal with issues in there lives that causes them to eat or you will continue doing so. You will just be miserable afterward because you will get dumping syndrome and throw up (it does interact with socializing), I would not do the RNY again. and honestly it probably would be nice if it could be hooked back together. Also, if you get to a point in your life where you need many meds most of the doctors out there do not know which one to prescribe for the best results for you. See, depending on where the drug starts the actual breakdown in the inteststine is a big factor. some will say taking ER drugs are ok and others say no. I still do not know what i am suppose to take or not. If I did again I would do the least evasive technique available.

mansed
on 3/30/15 10:11 pm - Cherry Valley, MA

I was banded in 2011 and I am glad I did it!  I was about 240 lbs and if I hadn't done it I know I would just keep on gaining the weight.

my only regret us I wished  I had had the by pass. I am talking to my doctor about having it done.

Nic M
on 3/31/15 1:04 am

I had the lap band done in 2003 and I regret it with every ounce of my being. I had it removed in 2005, but my guts are chewed up and damaged horribly from the device and surgical incompetence. 

I would have chosen a different WLS- either the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Duodenal Switch.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Woodyspond
on 3/31/15 2:32 am

I am 2 years out, almost for RNY surgery.  I am 60 years old, female.  I do not regret it for a minute and I went through hell.  I cannot tolerate meat and other things but I'm doing fine with lentils, beans and other protein sources.  I spent years with diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, CFS, and many other problems.  I am off all medication and no longer have sleep apnea, except one that I have to take for neuropathy.  I should have done this when I was younger but can't look back.  It is much nicer to be a relatively normal size and not have as many health problems than to have been heavy and full of diseases.

Jen R.
on 3/31/15 3:01 am - VA

In June I will be 8 years out. I have no regrets! My health is good, I have GERD but take Nexium.  In 2011 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but that has not affected my weight. I walk as much as I'm able to, do gentle  yoga. To me it's all about using the tool you were given. Most of us fight hard to get the surgery.  Use it!

Good luck to you. Remember that success starts with one step forward. When you fall, get back up. 

Jen      

lmpa65
on 4/5/15 9:13 am

I am 3+ years postop. I do not have a single regret. This has been an awesome journey and I have never felt better. Good luck. 

manditude
on 4/6/15 11:36 am

I had the DS and have absolutely zero regrets. Every single day I am thrilled that I am living my life as normally as possible.

I have never had a complication, never had an ounce of regain, and recovery was a breeze. I can eat like a normal person - nobody even knows I've had surgery unless I tell them. I can take NSAIDs, I can eat whatever type of food that I want, and I can still lose weight at 4 years out if I wanted to (which I don't, I'm happy at 140 lbs because I expect to lose 10-15 lbs in plastic surgery!) 

Please consider the DS especially if you have a high BMI or any significant comorbidities. Especially diabetes. The DS is worth fighting for.

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015