Will Illness Postpone Surgery?

mysty888
on 3/26/15 4:30 am
RNY on 01/22/15

I would not want to have surgery on my stomach area, and be coughing afterward, VERY PAINFUL. I had a complication with a drainage tube sitting on a nerve on my diaphragm, and just breathing was extremely painful, I can't imagine what a cough would do. I know the waiting game for surgery is awful, but waiting might be in your best interest. 

NikkyBeauty
on 3/26/15 7:14 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I had just gotten over the flu a few days before surger but I still had the worst cough left over and the day of surgery I told my surgeon he said it was up to me if I wanted to postpone or not the only way they will postpone is if you have a fever. I went through with it and man oh man it hurt so bad when I coughed plus the cough got worst! But it was only for the 1st and 2nd day once the pain wasn't so bad coughing wasn't a problem so as long as you don't have a fever it will be up to you to decide if you will postpone or not.

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

MrsVonZipper
on 3/26/15 7:55 pm

Thank you Nikki. My surgeon has left the final decision to me, and to the anesthesiologist. I think this is just a cold-with some chest congestion. I've never had any fever at all, and don't feel as bad as I did yesterday. So, I'm preparing to go to the hospital and see what the expert's opinion is, which of course I will accept graciously. I'm so thankful for all of these replies to my panicked plea yesterday morning! God bless each of you.

Patty

christinerocks
on 3/26/15 8:47 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Good luck Patty! If we don't hear from you today we will assume you are safely on your way to the losers bench! Check back in with us when you can and let us know how you are doing.  And please save me a seat, my date is 10 days away now... 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

ladygodiva1228
on 3/26/15 9:42 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Crossing fingers for you that you can proceed with the surgery.

NikkyBeauty
on 3/27/15 6:12 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Your very welcome good luck and I hope all goes well for you!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

MrsVonZipper
on 3/29/15 8:21 am

Well, it's Sunday, March 29th. I'm HOME after having the surgery! Turns out I had just a little cold, nothing serious enough to postpone the surgery!! I'm so happy. Everything went so well...very little pain, virtually NO trapped gas, excellent nursing care. I did so well they sent me home a day early! Thank you ALL for your advice and comments. You're the BEST!

Patty