Chewey Vitamins etc.

Tracy D.
on 3/20/15 6:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oh I never went by net carbs on anything - I always looked at the actual carb count.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

bulldog76ss
on 3/20/15 5:47 am - OH

I was instructed by my surgeon and dietitian to take gummy multiples, calcium and fiber.  I have been taking them for 2 years now and have not effected my weight loss or my routine blood tests of which I have passed.  I was a insulin diabetic before the surgery and am now completely off insulin.  I think some of the comments about the extra carbs in these gummies are good ones and plan to ask my doctor if its ok to go to hard pills anyway.  Good Luck to you...

HW 561, SW 511, CW 300

Valerie G.
on 3/20/15 6:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How familiar are you with your own bloodwork?  I ask just because you say you "passed".  Sadly, many don't bother to understand what's being tested and what the results mean.  I was trending downward on many nutrients, but becaue I wasn't too far out of range (even though I'd dropped drastically from the year before) they weren't concerned.  They didn't even bother to compare my previous labs.  If I waited for them, I would be suffering effects of malnutrition before they would say anything, so be aware and be proactive.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/20/15 7:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

This is such an excellent point.  Too many people depend on the lab/dr  interpreting the results rather than actually knowing their own numbers.  This is a great reminder.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

rocky513
on 3/20/15 8:27 am - WI

I agree.  The numbers are important but how your numbers are trending is the key to keeping yourself healthy.  I actually use a spread sheet and track my lab results so I an see which vitamins need to be tweaked.  NEVER RELY ON YOUR DOCTOR'S COMMENTS.  You are your own health care advocate.  It's up to you to stay on top of the numbers.

As for gummy vits, my surgeon forbid me from using them.  They are not easily absorbed with RNY.  I'm not sure about VSG.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

bulldog76ss
on 3/20/15 10:12 pm - OH

I understand what you are saying.   I feel very fortunate in that my family doctor plots my results and reports all testing for 5 years to watch for trends both up and down.  I think it's amazing the amont of testing they do, taking 10 viles of blood at each test.  The report shows results against norms and graphs the trends for each result.   Thanks  for your input! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/20/15 6:10 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not sure of the reasons why, but the Cleveland Clinic specifically advises against any "gummy" supplements.  Therefore, I haven't used them.  

Karen M.
on 3/20/15 6:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

Kat, it seems to me that it has something to do with the gelatin makeup of the gummy that makes it difficult to absorb.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/20/15 6:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  I also seem to recall that the dietician said that all of them were deficient in a few vitamins/minerals that WLS patients need?  I wish I could remember exactly -- but I do know that there is a poster in both the metabolic lab and the bariatric center with Gummy supplement with a red circle and line through it it --- next to the big warning sign that says "Flintstone Vitamins DO NOT meet bariatric needs post-surgery: please talk to your dietician if you are currently using!"  

Therefore, I have avoided both like they're rabid raccoons! 

merry1126
on 3/20/15 7:48 am
VSG on 06/17/15

MY packet states that no gummy vitamins because most are missing minerals and almost all are missing some of the B vitamins. My nutritionist told me I could use Flintstone Complete chewable vitamins.