Question about medications after gastric sleeve procedure

LessFatMoreFit
on 3/19/15 2:57 pm

I had the procedure done last week and was curious about how much it affects the effectiveness/absorption rate of my medications. 

I take five medications for blood pressure, gout, and thyroid and am concerned that because of the water amount used to wash them down, I may be washing them out of my stomach prematurely. 

The biggest reason I think there may be an issue is because it seems that I'm starting to have pains that I used to have before a gout flare up. Any info is greatly appreciated.

White Dove
on 3/19/15 11:48 pm - Warren, OH

I believe that the pills need to be out of your stomach and are absorbed in the intestines.  So nothing would change with VSG as far as absorption.  Talk with your doctor about the pain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 3/19/15 11:54 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Understand that all your working parts are *still* working the way nature designed them.  You simply have a much smaller stomach than you had before.

There should be no change in the way your meds react like the malabsorptive procedures (DS and RNY). 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 3/20/15 4:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

All your medications should work exactly the same.  The only problem some sleevers have is getting them down in the very beginning.  But all medications are absorbed in the intestines and you didn't have any work done there - it all works exactly like it did before.  

My husband had VSG, lost all his weight and still gets gout attacks.  VSG isn't a gout "cure" although it's assumed that attacks will be less since you should be eating less of the problem foods.  However, a protein heavy diet appears to still trigger my hubby's attacks.  

He takes the prescribed medication and it works just fine.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MsBatt
on 3/20/15 8:21 am

Very, very few things are absorbed in the stomach---primarily aspirin and alcohol. Everything else is absorbed in your intestines.