Need a forum because I have regained my weight

ymcagirl45
on 3/20/15 10:24 pm - savannah, GA

It has been almost 3 years since I have been on this board and have gained most of my weight back.  Looking for a forum to join.  I am just disgusted with myself and have no will power anymore, fallen back into my old habits and need help.  I was warned this could happen and it did.  I am wondering if I should have had lap band since you can keep getting it adjusted.  I guess my pouch is now back to my old fat stomach.  ughhh.

christinerocks
on 3/20/15 10:38 pm, edited 3/20/15 10:40 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Good for you for taking charge! There is a group called Back on Track. Search for it or, send a message to member services, to get the details of how to join.  

I am pre-op and I'm still definitely in the learning stages, so I am afraid I have no advice for you beyond that. I do think you made the most important step: recognizing you need help and coming here.  Good for you.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Laura in Texas
on 3/20/15 10:40 pm

Looking at old posts, I believe you had the sleeve. There is no way it stretched back to normal size. Have you had it checked by your surgeon? Do you track and weigh/measure your food? Limit crappy carbs?? Take responsibility and believe you are worth the effort. You can do this, but you have to choose to do it. Find a support group either in person or stay involved here. Lots of people get themselves back on track and you can, too. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Ready2goNOW
on 3/21/15 12:35 am

This is always scary to me to read as I am pre-op and really feel if I am not successful with this surgery I will die. I have some serious co-morbidities that have really limited me and taken the joy out of my life. I cannot keep treading these waters b/c eventually I will drown!

I am doing the blog on here so I can always look back and read how bad it is/was. I know I can't lose the weight and forget the process that got me there. This has to be a rest of my life commitment!

All that being said I think that you coming back and posting is a huge step in the right direction! Like Christine, I don't feel qualified to offer much advice as I have not gotten to the other side. But it sounds like some of the feedback you have gotten already is helpful.

One last thing on lap-band...my daughter had it as well as a co-worker and they have both had significant problems that had nothing to do with their food intake. They also said the fills get old after awhile although I could see this as a good thing...an ongoing reminder of what you need to do. I have also heard the band does not take out the hunger hormone like the sleeve and full gastric bypass. Physical hunger is difficult enough for me to deal with, but head hunger seems a bigger battle to conquer. If I didn't have the hunger hormone removed I would have twice the battle! so I am going with the sleeve!

Best of luck and keep us posted! It is good for us pre-ops (me anyhow) to observe as many stories as possible.

Kathy

ymcagirl45
on 3/21/15 1:22 am - savannah, GA

thank you so much for your kind words and I have not done when I was supposed to do I admit it I just thought I could eat whatever I want because in the beginning you can and you still lose weight. it is just embarrassing and I have to just suck it up and go back to the doctor.I just feel like a failure so the support this means so much to me. but I know it is all in my head and I'm to get hungry so I am going back to how I was doing it up and get back on track. cuz I do have an addiction to food and it is my comfort and I need to turn to other things like exercise. so for those of you that are pre op my advice is just to stay on track don't cheat because once you do you can fall back into your old have it so easy and you can do this its not a bad surgery I felt so good for the first two and a half years and I was warned about this and I didn't listen so to stay on track and I'm going to get back on track.

ymcagirl45
on 3/21/15 1:25 am - savannah, GA

Using my voice command in the car...that's why my post sounds so crazy. 

Cathy W.
on 3/21/15 3:48 am

Join the Back On Track Together group.  We support each other there and post an accountability each day, and support each other.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Kathy S.
on 3/21/15 8:43 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi ymcagirl45

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...  Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group link in my signature area as everyone has suggested.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies and fruits.  

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker

Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat, fiber, calories, and sugar. Important vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan)

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lift weights. When I stopped, the weight came on.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

cathey9338
on 3/23/15 10:35 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with

This is a great list!!!!!

ShanonSproul
on 3/21/15 3:02 pm

Hello there,

I feel so sorry for what happened to you. Well, it's not as bad as what you think it is. You don't have to worry about regaining weight. I also have a friend like you who jumped off to a good start in her diet but just few weeks later she started to eat and eat and eat again and yeah, like you, had fallen back to her old habits. She doesn't weigh too much actually but her weight just isn't normal as her height. Her height is only 155cm but her weight is 60kg which is already categorized as overweight in BMI. What's good about her is that when she find herself more than the weight she desires, she will start to do a diet again. What she's been doing ever since is not eating any solid food, just juice. Just proper combination of fruits and vegetables: green fruits+green vegetables; any fruits and veggies in the nearest colors. Then, she contemporaneously does workout, exercise. All I can say to you is never ever lose hope and will power. Everything is in control as long as you will have that urge to help yourself. You can do it. Trust me. Juicing is the best. And it will surely help you to be cured by all of your illnesses (if you have). Take good care of yourself!