Psychologist that takes Meridian MHP in Michigan?

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/15 3:20 pm
VSG on 07/13/15

(A little about me: I've already done the 6 months of Weigh****chers and got pre-approved for surgery by Meridian. I did the consultation and the first meet-up with my surgeon, Dr. Webber. I live in Wayne County, Michigan)

I live in Belleville, Michigan and my Insurance is Meridian with the Healthy Michigan Plan.

My name is Gary and I'm really having a hard time finding a Psychologist that takes Meridian to do my evaluation for bariatric surgery. I already have an appointment for the sleep lap and the stress test.

Great Lakes Weight Loss in the Harper Professional Building gave me a list of Psychologists to call, but none of them take Meridian. I had an easier time getting the heart stress test and the sleep lab, but this one hurdle is a challenge. Does anyone know of any psychologists that take Meridian in my area? Any pointers can help!

(Note: There is one in Belleville, Michigan, but she is independent and only takes cash/cc and costs $150.. She is unique as she had bariatric surgery.  I really can't afford to pay that in case I get denied surgery for cardiac/lung reasons and that I am poor. I am grateful that I have a chance to change my future, but unless I can find a psych dotor for the evaluation.. I can kiss the surgery goodbye and back to being able to work without having weight being a severe hinderance to my day-to-day activities.)

White Dove
on 3/19/15 6:17 pm - Warren, OH

Find someone to lend you the money or see if you can get a care credit card.  You need to get your exam taken care of.  I have a therapist who also had surgery and that is a very good person to work with.  My co-pay was more than $150 for the psychologist visit. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 1:56 am
VSG on 07/13/15
On March 20, 2015 at 1:17 AM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

Find someone to lend you the money or see if you can get a care credit card.  You need to get your exam taken care of.  I have a therapist who also had surgery and that is a very good person to work with.  My co-pay was more than $150 for the psychologist visit. 

This part is hard as actually I'm pretty lucky that with my insurance, I pay pretty much next to nothing for things (since my income is basically zero, thank you Rick Snyder for the HMP initiative!)

I just got a list a psychologists that a helpful (more than the person I talked to Wednesday) Meridian told me about that it is on their website. Thank you for your suggestion, though!

Doingrightin2015
on 3/19/15 9:26 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Have you called your insurance company to have them give you a list of Psychologist on their plan. You might even be able to get them to call and get you an appointment setup with them. I am not sure about your insurance but is it a Medicaid Plan? If so, they should help you find and get into a psychologist. I am saying this because I work for a Managed Medicaid company in another state and we do this for our members.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Doingrightin2015
on 3/19/15 9:28 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

You might also check your insurance companies website for Psychologist on the plan that way also!

Doingitright2015

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 1:53 am
VSG on 07/13/15

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually got a hold of a decent person at Meridian that showed me that part of the website, so I'm currently calling the numbers.

Is there anything special about a bariatric psychiatric test that only certain psychologists can do? Or is it just certain ones?

Thanks for the help so far! This site has been pretty good to me so far 

Doingrightin2015
on 3/20/15 5:34 am
RNY on 03/10/15

that I really don't know.  I had to go thru and do a test that asked tons of questions on a form and then I talked to a them, they just did a lot of questions to see where your heads at I guess and I am sure the scoring on the form told them what state of mind I was in. That was all I did.

Doingitright2015

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 1:17 pm
VSG on 07/13/15
On March 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM Pacific Time, Doingrightin2015 wrote:

that I really don't know.  I had to go thru and do a test that asked tons of questions on a form and then I talked to a them, they just did a lot of questions to see where your heads at I guess and I am sure the scoring on the form told them what state of mind I was in. That was all I did.

I see, I see.

How long did the evaluation take? Thanks for answering my question! 

kimmarie63
on 3/20/15 7:48 am
RNY on 11/24/14

My psych eval was done by the psychologist in Bellville, Dr. Kelly Johnson. She is excellent and I highly recommend her if you can swing the payment somehow. She totally gets it because she has been there, done that.

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 1:13 pm
VSG on 07/13/15
On March 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM Pacific Time, kimmarie63 wrote:

My psych eval was done by the psychologist in Bellville, Dr. Kelly Johnson. She is excellent and I highly recommend her if you can swing the payment somehow. She totally gets it because she has been there, done that.

Thank you for the glowing recommendation! I'll try to keep her in mind.