Beans-gas build up?

Willie H.
on 3/16/15 2:22 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I noticed that every once in awhile I would get such a pain in my chest, shoulders and around from gas build up late at night or early morning  and wondered why sometimes I would have it and sometimes I would not? After a drink of water and walking around 15-20 minutes the pain would subside. At first I thought it may be from drinks other than water-i.e. milk or crystal light but I think I finally figured it out! I think it comes whenever I eat beans? I'm not really sure but has anyone else experienced this and if so from what food or drink do you think it comes from? It's really very uncomfortable!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 4:21 am

o yea.. beans - I stopped eating them long time ago.. that an and some raw veggies...and some fruits... and any qty of Sugar Alcohols..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willie H.
on 3/16/15 4:51 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Hmmm? Sugar alcohols too? A lot of low carb, high protein bars have those! Ok that makes sense! Yea, it kills me with gas-very annoying, uncomfortable and even painful. And I thought beans were the superfood to eat after this WLS. Thank you. Any other foods?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 4:58 am

raw broccoli, cauliflower, raw onions, under cooked green beans... etc..

Check - FODMAP diet... that would be a lot of foods that can ferment in our guts.. .  Taking enzymes can help some people... (not me) 

I typically don't eat any FODMAP food when I travel... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willie H.
on 3/16/15 5:22 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks! I had to learn the hard way.  Ouch!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 5:28 am

you also may be really constipated even if you have BM every day.. ( I know from experience) . In case like that - the gas can't go out the "normal way" so it backs up - up and causes pressure and pain...

so.. if y can - take some miralax... normal 1 cup - should make you go in less than 24 hrs... like "really go"... it it takes longer - or it is not "very soft" - you have an issue... (I am talking from experience - unfortunately) 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 5:30 am

correction: (can't edit the post) - not "a cup of miralax".. " 1-capful".. big difference..

hollykim
on 3/16/15 9:40 am, edited 3/16/15 9:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 16, 2015 at 9:22 AM Pacific Time, Willie H. wrote:

I noticed that every once in awhile I would get such a pain in my chest, shoulders and around from gas build up late at night or early morning  and wondered why sometimes I would have it and sometimes I would not? After a drink of water and walking around 15-20 minutes the pain would subside. At first I thought it may be from drinks other than water-i.e. milk or crystal light but I think I finally figured it out! I think it comes whenever I eat beans? I'm not really sure but has anyone else experienced this and if so from what food or drink do you think it comes from? It's really very uncomfortable!

beans often do this tome. If I cook them myself and soak them overnight before cooking,it releases the gas and you won't have gas after they are cooked. 

Brocolli is also gas producing and yes,sugar alcohols! And really most protein bars are just glorified candy. Bars.

Valerie G.
on 3/16/15 9:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm laughing because you made it all the way to adulthood before you realized that beans cause gas.  When I was a kid, my granny would make a pot of beans when she noticed nothing good on television that evening.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Willie H.
on 3/17/15 5:52 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Well, as a kid I used the rear relief express! And even as I got older the gas had a place to sneak out even if silently!   When I first had WLS and felt this pain I thought I was having a heart attack-man it was painful!! But coming to this forum helped me come to realized it was trapped gas. In the beginning someone recommended Milk of Magnesium and that was a godsend!  

Recently I knew the pain was from gas but I could not figure out exactly why and when it would appear until H.a.l.a. B (shout out and holla to H.a.l.a.-Thanks!) mentioned beans and raw veggies such as broccoli?

That IS funny that I never would connect the two especially since I do not eat beans much? Now when I think about beans, their reputation, and movies such as Blazing Saddles and the scene around the campfire it makes me laugh! Them beans be dangerous! My NUT recommended beans to me almost as a Superfood after WLS because it has protein, somewhat low in carbs and calories and high in fiber so I stocked up on it. I'll see her again this Thursday.  The beans I ate were canned, maybe as suggested I could soak them but I think from here on-NO BEANS FOR ME! Nope, I'll leave them alone!

This is why I come to this forum, to learn something new everyday. Thanks all.