I don't know how to be anything but fat

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/16/15 3:03 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Congrats on looking at the emotional/mental head thing now, a lot of times that gets overlooked in the whole weight loss journey. Getting support either on here or a support group/therapy will definitely help.

I've been fat most of my life. I remember as a child they didn't really have plus size clothes for kids & my mother had to take me into the mens changing room to try on clothes, while a clerk stood guard outside the room, so humiliating! I also realized that I was using my fat as a shield so that I wouldn't get hurt (molested as a child), so now the armor is coming down, little by little, it's a process. You'll get thru it & become more successful as a result. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

bikrchk
on 3/16/15 5:45 am

The mental gymnastics you'll go through are WAY harder IMHO than the physical part of getting cut on and the recovery from that. Having only gotten close to a normal weight a couple of times in my life (very short lived), I'd been overweight since childhood.  Divorced for 4 years prior to surgery, it's an odd thing to jump back in the dating world with a fat girl's brain in a fit girl's body.  The attention is... strange. And wonderful, and and confidence building and empowering if I let it be. I definitely needed to learn I can't hide behind the weight anymore to avoid relationships. Still navigating, but it's been a FUN ride!

Sweat is fat crying

karenp8
on 3/16/15 6:10 am - Brighton, IL

Kudos to you for thinking about the mental aspect of your weight loss even before your surgery. I too had been heavy my whole life even as a child. Living life in a normal dsize(dare I say small) is amazing! It took me over a year before I could look in a mirror and see my true size. I worked with a therapist to help me deal with the mental issues like my parent's divorce that caused me to turn to food for comfort. I now have coping strategies in place and am loving my new healthy life down 145 pounds. I wish I had done it sooner!!

STB
on 3/16/15 9:39 am
RNY on 07/21/14

It is amazing! It has been 30 years since I have been at the weight I am now and even though it has been hard work and at times I have had regrets (early on) it is so worth it! I had RYN 8 months ago and hit the 100 pounds weight loss this morning. You will do great!! When I had doubts I told myself two things - others have done this successfully and so can I and there is no going back and that is a good thing! Good luck!!

SHARON  

helionoftroy
on 3/16/15 10:42 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

What an amazing outpouring of support!! Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'd like to think I have my head in the game and am doing everything necessary to prepare. I'm glad I found OH and will be searching for local groups to participate in. I hope to one day be an inspiration to others.   

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/17/15 5:43 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

This is a very poignant comment.  It's been so long since I've been a normal size that I don't know anything but being fat.  I think we tend to blame many of our problems on our weight - some of which are well deserved - but it doesn't define us completely.

In my experience, as the pounds come off and I find myself capable of doing so much more, some of the mental weight falls to the wayside.  I'm letting my life baggage go, or trying to.  It's a different life, but a better one.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Alwayzbsingin04
on 3/17/15 5:57 am - Westland, MI
DS on 01/28/15

I can relate 100% to how you feel right now, Helion. I was used to being fat my whole entire life as well. Once you have your surgery, life is definitely going to change. I thought I was prepared, but I really don't think anyone REALLY is. It it without a doubt an emotional roller coaster! But you will do wonderful! You have to give yourself time after surgery mentally and physically. I am a month and a 1/2 out and I am so happy I had my procedure done. I wish you the absolute best in your recovery as well as your journey post op! Prayers being sent your way! Xoxoxoxx

-Rachel  

ShanonSproul
on 3/21/15 3:30 pm

Hi.

i just want to say goodluck to you for the surgery. I hope everything will get better after the surgery. Please do take care of yourself and follow everything that needs to be done. Frankly speaking, it's not good to stay fat forever. Sooner or later you will develop heart diseases that would lead to early death. We are all created by God to take care of ourselves and serve Him. God gave us this borrowed life so we have to use it efficiently. After the surgery, never eat forbidden foods again like eating in fast food chains or foods with preservatives, junk foods, and whatnot. If you want to make the surgery useless, just eat what is right. As i am always saying to my friends, do a proper juicing. Natural remedies are the best.

Best of luck! Im praying for you.