coughing attacks

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/15 9:51 am

I've been practicing sipping water slowly and and I don't know what it is I'm doing but I get an itchy throat then end up coughing, I hope this doesn't happen to me post op because it would suck to have to cough that much after surgery  (ouch) what's weird is it only happens when I don't use a straw but my doc doesn't  allow straws or sippy cups after surgery. I guess I'll just keep practicing.

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/15 2:43 pm - Dhaka., Bangladesh

You posted a effective topics.Thanks.

Valerie G.
on 3/16/15 12:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What procedure did you have?  I ask because the RNY is the only procedure where the no straw rule rings true, but many just got lazy in taking the time to truly differentiate the difference between the procedures.  One suggestion I can offer is to try changing the temperature of the water.  Perhaps something warm would be more soothing on the throat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Poodlemac
on 3/16/15 2:15 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I have a friend who had the sleeve a year ago and he's also off straws. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 8:35 am

Still preop just practicing, I'm trying with ice cold water so maybe room temp might be better, thank you! 

Tracy D.
on 3/16/15 3:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Do you get the "itchy throat" at any time other than when you're drinking?   Because that dry, itchy throat or a dry unproductive cough are classic signs of gastrix reflux.  I had NO idea until I went to my doctor to be checked for a respiratory problem about two weeks after surgery.  Couldn't figure out why I was coughing all the time!! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 8:34 am

I'm still preop but getting vsg, I guess it happens when I let the water trickle down slow that's when it gets itchy, just trying to get a feel of what to expect, I've also tried it with ice and let it melt and I don't  end up coughing, Im a water chugger so I'm not used to taking little sips lol. I'm practicing with ice cold water so maybe I'll try room temp to see if it's better.

MsBatt
on 3/18/15 12:38 am

Your doctor doesn't "allow" straws or sippy cups? Is he a doctor, or a kindergarten teacher?

Seriously, you're an adult. You can use a straw or a sippy cup if you so choose. We're all different, and what works for one may not work for someone else. Some people feel they swallow too much air when using a straw, but some people feel they swallow less. Do what makes YOU comfortable.

David147
on 4/22/15 5:21 pm

I had the same thing. My teacher offered me to go outside too! It got to the point I couldnt even laugh because if I did I would have like a coughing attack! But literally they only lasted 2-3 minutes. I went to the doctor and she said she wasent sure, but diagnosed me with walking pnuemonia anyway. I go the medicine, have been taking it, and its clearing up! Just buy cough drops, take LOTS of water to school, and it should help. Drink drink drink!