Leaving Hospital Day of Surgery??

shakeitoff
on 3/16/15 1:04 am
VSG on 03/09/15

So much for uneventful. 

This is my journey as it began Monday March 9, 2015.  My husband and daughter stayed at the surgery center for the hour I had surgery and then left for lunch etc.  The nurses told then when I would be awake and ready to leave.  I had a very hard time coming out of the anesthetic.  I was wobbly for quite a while.  So they used another IV.

My physician requires you stay in a hotel if you live out of town.  So since we live 1 1/2 hours away from the Dr. we stayed in the hotel (cost included in surgery fee)that was with in 2 miles of the surgery center. 

During the evening when I woke up my daughter who is an RN looked at my incisions and noticed bleeding beyond what we/she thought would be normal. (soaked the bandages and left a blood soaked spot on the bedding the size of a teacup saucer).  So she called the number provided to tell the Dr or whom ever what was going on.  They did not seem concerned.  They told her to monitor and if it got worse to let them know.  At numerous time I would have severe pains in my right shoulder from the gas.  It was awful and even after gall bladder surgery I never felt anything like it.  My RN daughter was great she had a level head and made sure I took the correct meds at the correct time. I doubt my darling husband would have thought to write things down.  He actually panicked every time I panicked.  By Tuesday morning I woke up and felt cold.  I had again soaked through all the bedding with more blood. I had bled through sheet, cover, blanket you name it.  We loaded up and went straight to the Dr.'s office also the surgery center.  I held a bathroom hand towel on my abdomen so not to bleed through my shirt.  My daughter went in and asked where they wanted me to go.  The Dr. was out of town at another office they wouldn't even look at me! We were sent to a nearby ER where they checked my blood levels eventually repacked the bleeding incisions and sent us on our way.  By now my husband is not a happy camper because he was supposed to be back at work and the Dr calls and says stay another night he will see me in the morning.  UGH!  aggravated we refused and drove home.  My husband had to be at work.  My daughter just started a new job and I would have been all alone and hour and a half away.  The bleeding quit after the visit to the ER. 

I go back to the Dr today for a check up.  I am not to sure how it will go. But Just a heads up things out of the ordinary can and do happen.  Best of luck and I hope your summary of your surgery is much shorter!

louielover
on 3/16/15 5:59 am

That sounds terrible! I'm so sorry you are going through all that..it must such a roller coaster. I'm shocked they let you stay at a hotel instead of overnight in a hospital monitored by nurses and medical staff. And how could the doctor not be available the next day!? I hope you are able to get medical care from the ER.

Luckily the hospital im having my procedure at is 3 miles away so im hoping a taxi isnt a big deal.

Keep me posted on how things turn out. That is very scary.

Fleur
on 3/16/15 3:36 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

Apparently every doctor and hospital is different but I'd be VERY concerned if you had VSG and were released the same day.  Like, I'd reconsider the doctor. It's a major surgery! I travelled to Mexico alone and realize things go differently but many people drive home 2 days after surgery, many alone.

louielover
on 3/16/15 5:54 am

No I dont think any surgery is a same day release unless its considered outpatient. I'm expecting to stay atleast one night and possibly two nights after surgery, so a good 48 of hospital time. I was mostly inquiring about if I could leave alone after that 48 hours since the anesthesia would have most definitely worn off by then, and if I left it would be either taxi or a friend picking me up. I wouldn't think of driving alone until after a full week had passed.  I mostly just dont want to be a burden to anyone and make a friend stay with me that whole time.  You're right tho- any doc that releases a patient after surgery same day should be reconsidered!!! 

Fleur
on 3/16/15 6:04 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

Lol ok good! I was alone the whole time by preference and I did like that. I would be somewhat surprised if they made you have a person check you out but some may really prohibit driving so soon. Mine said preference should be to not drive over 2 hours at a time for the first week.