changing sizes rapidly

zann50
on 3/15/15 12:44 am

VSG-1-27-15 HW-348 SW-298 CW-272

Sorry to have to repeat the above with each post.  Not able to create "ticker"! 

So, my question to all is: How did you cope with changing sizes?  Even if the scales don't agree with amount of rapid inch loss, I find myself at thrift and consignment stores just trying not to invest too much money before I reach goal (lovely word) or just stabilize my wt. for a while.

Any suggestions appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Zann

VGS- 2015

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/15/15 12:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I sold each size as I went down on eBay.  I used that money to buy smaller sizes at consignments or sales.  I purposefully bought name brand clothes in neutrals so that I had many options for work and good resale value.  Plus sized clothing makes a lot of money -- for example, I made nearly 1200 selling my sized 30/32 and 26/28 sized clothes.  As I got smaller, I had less to sell and they got a bit less money.  For example, I just sold all my sized 12 and 14 clothes (all name brands) and only made about 200.  

That was my solution.  I will say that finding great quality clothes for very little money is super easy now.  So it does get easier.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

zann50
on 3/15/15 1:14 am

Great idea!  Thank you

Zann

VGS- 2015

Kathy S.
on 3/15/15 1:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Mary,

Do you attend a support group meeting through your surgeon?  We had clothing exchanges every month and I pretty much got through my weight loss by exchanging my clothes with others that were losing. If you don't attend a support group I highly recommend it. It's a big help in losing weight and staying on track.

What really caught me off guard was my shoe size. I was not expecting for that to get smaller 

I would be glad to assist you with your ticker.  PM me or email me at [email protected]

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

zann50
on 3/15/15 2:56 am

I do attend support groups and have mentioned that a city close by does have a clothing exchange...no interest in the area???  So, I think for now, I will seek out consignment shops and resale clothes as I downsize.  Your suggestion is appreciated.  Thank you

Zann

VGS- 2015

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/15/15 3:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I also wanted to say that if you are in need of dressy/work type clothes, and you are still between 10 and 32 -- there is a cool site that you can "rent" clothes like movies from Netflix.  I did it for two months and it was a ton of fun -- and I had new outfits all the time.  I did it during a time when I had lots of weddings, events and parties to attend -- and I didn't want to have to invest in expensive items that I'd soon be out of.  But, it was also great for career wear.  Unfortunately, I can't anymore due to my size -- but it's also a great option if you need more professional or formal options.  

Netflix for CLOTHES!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

White Dove
on 3/15/15 3:54 am - Warren, OH

I worked with a consignment shop.  I brought in clothes as I outgrew them.  They sold them for me and I used the proceeds to buy smaller sizes.  I did that for about a year until I stabilized and ended up with only clothes that fit me in my closets.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/15/15 4:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I did a lot of shopping at Goodwill and consignment stores. I also managed to reduce the number of pieces I had to buy by getting kind of sneaky with my wardrobe. A black cardigan that I could wear through two sizes and four or five different colored tank tops or camis, for example, helped stretch things out a lot!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 3/15/15 6:32 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I find tops I can make 'work' over a couple of sizes, I don't need to change them as often. I do not like having baggy pants though. So if I have 3 pair of good fitting pants at any given time, I am OK with that. Leggings and yoga pants I don't have to change as often either. For the most part I scour the sales and sale racks mostly at Kohls and Macy's and Old Navy. I will but things a little too small if I see a good sale. If I like a particular pant I will buy it again in a smaller size. I have done well with my jeans from Walmart (Lee) and target and just got a pair I love from Old Navy. I have a wedding to go to next weekend and found a $140 Calvin Klein Dress for $22 at Macy's. It does take patience to comb the racks. I like Macy's and Kohls because you can return things anytime.  if I buy something before I fit into it, and it ends up not working, I can still return it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

caliannie
on 3/15/15 7:25 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

Thank you for the great question. I'm still waiting for my date so I haven't had a chance to have your problem yet but hope to soon. Unfortunately I have several sizes in the back of my closet that I think can carry me for a few months. Dress Barn has these little elastic clip things that you attach to your belt loops. It might give you a little more life for your slacks.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1