For those on Puree/ full liquid phase of Post op diet

JennyMcC
on 3/13/15 3:44 am
VSG on 02/25/15

Hi everyone!

I have been STRUGGLING to choke down enough protein and I thought I would offer up a couple of things I recently discovered that are helping me in case anyone is looking for ideas. 

Hard boil an egg, puree it (i use a ninja) add some Reduced Fat mayo, - maybe 1 TBSP - and a scoop ** of unflavored protein powder.  **(I am using BENEPROTEIN because it meets my NUTS requirements of being Whey Protein Isolate, and it comes w/ the scoop that I use.  - the scoop in the Beneprotein is about 1/4 the size of the BIG scoops in my Nectar and Unjury powders)  I figured out the nutrition info on MFP and it comes to 192 Calories, 1 carb, 13 Fat and 17 Protein.  When I am further along I will NOT use as much mayo, but right now I need the moisture.  When I make this I cannot taste the PROTEIN POWDER AT ALL!!!  (this is a good thing for me as my body is not liking that whey flavor right now).

The other thing I found out, I can add the unjury chicken protein powder to Cambells cream of chicken soup (that has been prepared w/ skim milk or almond milk) and NOT taste the protein in that either!

I hope these tips might HELP someone else who is starting to have a difficult time w/ some ideas of how to get all the protein in w/o JUST drinking the shakes (that are beginning to taste pretty nasty to me - maybe my tastebuds are changing).

Also figured out I can add benefiber to almost ANYTHING -- including crystal light lemonade.  It seems to work best for me to kind of 'melt' 2 tsp of the benefiter in maybe 2 oz of warm water and WHISK it till its clear and then add that liquid to whatever (crystal light for now!)

WHAT ARE YOUR TIPS?   Anyone else have ideas to NOT TASTE the PROTEIN but still get it in?  Thanks so much!   

Molly7689
on 3/13/15 8:08 am

Thanks for the tips! I'm also on purée right now and struggling with protein. 

Ive found 3 things that with for me. 

-add protein powder to whatever flavor of SF oatmeal. I personally like chocolate protein powder in maple and brown sugar oatmeal or banana oatmeal. 

-add protein powder to SF hot chocolate made with skin milk 

-add protein powder to SF FF pudding. My favorite here is cheesecake or banana pudding with chocolate or unflavored protein

JennyMcC
on 3/13/15 6:35 pm
VSG on 02/25/15

Omg  oatmeal sounds AWESOME!   I didn't know there was such a thing as sugar free instant oatmeal. Thank you so much. I will look for that at the grocery. I love oatmeal. Thanks Molly 

christinerocks
on 3/13/15 10:40 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Hey there, 

I'm still pre-op so I can't share my own experience but suggest you search the internet for "the world according to eggface".  Eggface (who posts here on OH) has a blog with a ton of great information and recipes.  Once at her blog search for puréed food stage - she has lots of ideas and recipes.  

Good luck! I hope to be joining you on that losers bench soon! 

Christine

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!