I know there's the dreaded 3 week stall, but...

luxurycouture
on 3/12/15 12:17 pm, edited 3/13/15 4:20 am

how about a two week stall? 

I had surgery on 2/17 and was losing weight steadily until 2/28, but since then I just keep hovering within a 1.8 pound range, up and down. That's 12 days without a loss. 

Any input? 

Eating what my dietician recommends, drinking water (trying to keep drinking. I am a little under what I should be). 

Almost at my protein recommendation. Again, some days I am struggling to meet the 65grams, but I am within 15 grams most of the time. 

Tell me everything you know! 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/10/15 12:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The stall doesn't always happen on week 3. Some folks have it earlier, others later.

Keep doing what you're doing and have patience.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happytoloose
on 3/10/15 1:06 pm

Take it easy, don't sweat these little bumps in the road.

This aint no race.

Im 4 and a half months out and if I got worried about every stall, Id be in the nut house by now.

I go through cycles, I loose for a few days then stop for a few days. over and over and over.

Your very early in the journey, your gonna see this a lot, so get used to it.

There are no straight lines in this road. Id be willing to bet, that 99 present of us don't loose weight every single day.

I once went 2 and a half weeks without loosing a pound. Then all of a sudden I loose 3 or 4 a day for a week or so.

I follow my water and protien guidelines to a tee, try to be as active as possible, and keep a positive attitude all the time.

AND DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.

I, for one, didn't gain the weight over night, and don't expect to loose it that quick either.

When we look back in a year or so, itll be the average loss that stands out.

When your body gets ready, itll freak you out. Just do your part by fueling it correctly, and leave the rest to your body.

Both goals, your water, and your protein are equally important in keeping your metabolism running on high.

I really limit carbs too, under 30g a day if I can. Im starting to drink more water now too. About 80 to 100 oz is what I shoot for.

Watch your average weight loss over a monthly period, and don't get discouraged when the scale gets stuck.

Most, if not all of us, struggle to meet our expectations, but at the end of the day, most if not all of us do.

Youll do just fine. Don't sweat it.

I love my sleeve.

Rod

mysty888
on 3/10/15 3:15 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

Excellent advice, Rod. I also had a big stall, started on day 8. I stressed about it and tried to figure it out. After six weeks, I have finally figured out my body's pattern. I lose for about five days, stay the same for 3-5 days, go up one or two days in a row, then drop for another five days. This is just MY body, everyone is different. It also makes a difference if the plumbing gets a little slow, which it usually does during that stall time, but then it clears itself out and I drop again. Maybe TMI, but we talk about that stuff here. Also, take your measurements. Someone explained it this way once, you lose fast, then your body slows down so that your skin can catch up a little, and you lose inches. I don't know if that is right or not, but it makes sense to me, and I can see it on the measuring tape. Good luck!

NikkyBeauty
on 3/10/15 8:40 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I keep hearing about those dreadful stalls, someone even said they lost no weight for 3 weeks!! Id be devistated! So I don't own a scale and I don't plan on buying one anytime soon! I just don't care or want to know about stalls I just plan on doing what im supposed to do and i will hit the scale when I see a dr. As long as I feel like im losing and it shows, it's all good with me! But as everyone says they typically don't last very long!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

gaia12141
on 3/10/15 9:30 pm

Same thing happened to me, I stalled in week two.  It helped to crank up my water intake as much as I could, I mean really sipping from my water bottle almost constantly.  But pauses in weight loss just go with the territory.  Your body will move through this...keep calm and carry on.

:)

Surgery date: 2/4/15    Surgeon: Ozanan Meireles, MD, Mass General Hospital

HW/284   SW/250   CW/185   GW/150       

luxurycouture
on 3/10/15 10:43 pm

I'm cool with it! I know that as long as I am doing the right thing, I ultimately will lose the weight. Honestly, my preference is to NOT lose weight too fast, because I want to muscle and skin to keep up as much as possible. 

Speaking of "plumbing," which doesn't seem like TMI to me btw, it definitely has been a slow go for me and I am dealing with a bit of an uncomfortable struggle. I started taking colace, with little to no change or relief. I see my dietician tomorrow and I will ask her for some recommendations. 

I think my body is going through a weird funk. My skin, which had been breaking out on my chin before surgery had cleared up after and now the breakouts are back, as well as lower abdominal bloating occasionally. I had felt so good my first and second week. I definitely feel a little "blah" now. 

anyway, I will keep doing my thing and good results will come! Eventually. 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Grim_Traveller
on 3/10/15 11:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Lose as fast as you can. Losing slower will NOT matter to your skin, not even a little. Get all your protein in, exercise and lift weights, and it won't matter to your muscles, either. 

People that try to lose slower never get to goal. These first months are your best opportunity to lose weight with very little effort. If you don't do your very best to lose now, you will have serious regrets later.

Things will be funky and weird for a while. It will be up and down for a while, but over time it gets better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/11/15 9:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^^ What Grim said.  Slowing down your weight loss will have absolutely no impact on how much loose skin you will have.  It's a combination of genetics, length of time you were obese, etc.

Maximize your weight loss early on.  And stalls are going to happen throughout the process.  My weight loss is like a stair step, not a declining linear slope.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/11/15 10:19 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On March 11, 2015 at 6:10 AM Pacific Time, Grim_Traveller wrote:

Lose as fast as you can. Losing slower will NOT matter to your skin, not even a little. Get all your protein in, exercise and lift weights, and it won't matter to your muscles, either. 

People that try to lose slower never get to goal. These first months are your best opportunity to lose weight with very little effort. If you don't do your very best to lose now, you will have serious regrets later.

Things will be funky and weird for a while. It will be up and down for a while, but over time it gets better.

This is REALLY IMPORTANT AND GOOD ADVICE.  Loose skin is NOT caused by losing too fast.  It's caused by your skin being stretch out by obesity.  You know who has loose skin?  People whose skin is no longer filled with fat.  :-)

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE FIRST FEW MONTHS> losing will never ever ever be as easy again.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat